“Mykonos” means the island of winds located in Greece. A typical Mediterranean climate where the sun shines for about 300 days of the year. Mykonos is famous for vibrant nightlife and the best beaches in the world. The most Popular island of Aegean sea. So presenting you 10 Best Things to Do in Mykonos.
10 Best Things to do in Mykonos:-
1.) Little Venice – Buildings are built right on the edge of the sea with the waves of sea kissing the balconies. This island was once a Pirate island in the 16th or 17th century. So this place was used for quick loading and unloading of goods. Now, these buildings are turned into antique bars, cafes, and restaurants. Lunch here is preferred for pretty views and to enjoy the sound of waves and winds.
2.) Matoyianni Street (Mykonos street) – Matoyianni street in old town is a maze of narrow streets. The network of the streets was laid to confuse enemies coming from the sea. Very interesting to walk on the streets as you may find some dead-end. The town is filled with unique shops which are any shopper’s delight. The small shops sell a variety of products from cheap souvenirs to artwork, jewelry, and branded fashion items. The white-washed houses have terraces and brightly colored doors and windows. You will see Bougainville trees in bloom as you walk the cobble-stoned streets. Also, there are many boutique hotels in the area. Enjoy the walk and get lost to find something unique.
3.) The Windmills (Kato Myli) – These iconic 16th-century traditional windmills overlooking Little Venice and Aegean Sea are spectacular. These windmills are not functional today but were used in 16th century for generating power to grind grain. They are in total 16 spread all over the island.
4.) Paradise Beach – Party beach with loud music and beach dancers.
5.) Super Paradise Beach – Beautiful turquoise colored waters beach. The most Hippest beach.
6.) Psarou Beach – Psarou Beach is famous for attracting celebrities from all over the world. It has a beautiful sandy beach and clear waters. Water sports facilities such as scuba diving are available at Psarou. The beach is located at 5 km from Mykonos and can be reached by local bus.
7.) Ornus Beach – Ornos beach is situated in front of a small fishing village, 2.5 km south of town and is the closest beach Mykonos city, with fine sand and sun beds and umbrellas for rent. Many water activities can be found here on rent.
8.) Agios Stefanos Beach – Agios Stefanos Beach is sandy beach next to the new harbor, Tourlos, of Mykonos which is located 3.5km from Mykonos town. Many restaurants and hotels are there for staying.
9.) Kalafatis Beach – Kalafatis is known for its water sports and so it is very much an active beach. In the left corner of the beach of Kalafatis, one can find a hut with hire facilities from a snorkel to diving. There is also a windsurf center, where you can rent board by the hour, and a watersports center for a jet ski.
10.) PlatysGialos Beach – Beautiful blue, clean and clear waters with antique style hotel on a bay.
There are many other famous beaches like Panormos Beach, Elia Beach, Lia Beach, Kalo Livadi, Paraga, Korfos, Agia Anna, Agrari etc. and famous churches like Delos and Folk Lore Museum.
Scooter ride in Mykonos is very popular to visit different attractions. Also, quad bikes and car on rent are available.
Sunset from lighthouse away on the hilltop is very enchanting. Though many people don’t go there from here you see the whole island. An isolated place and before heading towards it, check your car has enough fuel.
Click here to check our stay at Ilio Maris hotel with a view of windmills and sea and also read my reviews on it. There are many stay options in Mykonos where you can find a wide range of luxury, mid-range, budget and affordable stays. Click here to read more about Staying options in Mykonos.
Nature on Island while going on roads through different attractions
GENERAL GUIDELINES OF MYKONOS – WHAT TO DO IN MYKONOS
- For Internal commuting hire a car, bike or scooter. There is not much public transport. Or you can book guided tours. Click here to book Mykonos half day tour with the guide. Or you can book to historic sites of Delos to the nearby island by boat. Book 8 hours 4WD jeep safari in this beautiful island to explore some idyllic beaches and rural villages with many stops for swimming and lazing around. Also, you can take 40 minutes cruise which runs from Mykonos to Delos. Delos is an uninhabited island and was a center to the ancient Greek world. Delos is a historic island.
- If you are not looking for expensive options then plan your visit in shoulder season like April and September. From May to August Mykonos can be expensive as it is a peak season there.
- You will get vegetarian food as Greek cuisine has Stuffed Capsicums with herbs and rice, Fava Beans ( a type of lentils), Bread, Spinach pie, Roasted Eggplant, and Greek style pizza.
- Stay with a view of windmills & ocean or in the narrow streets of authentic white houses.
- Sunset is worth here and even you can book a cruise for sunset. But the best point is to watch the sunset is from a higher point like near the lighthouse or from some hilly top. Drive down there and wait for perfect timing.
- If you find Mykonos expensive to stay then choose nearby islands for staying in the night and do Mykonos as a day trip cruise from your stay location. You can also stay at Naxos island nearby and visit Mykonos as a day trip. Click here to book Naxos to Mykonos day trip.
- As it is a party island lookout for some of your favorite DJ’s nite or theme parties. Favorable for Destination party.
- Mykonos is a windy island and therefore carry some coat or jacket for evenings.
- Apart from Mykonos if you want to do know what other places are in Greece to visit then read my other post on Glorious Greece.
- What to do in Athens click here.
- Click here to book your Mykonos trip from Athens for 2 days and an overnight stay.
- Carry loads of suntan cream to enjoy in sun.
- Indulge in blue waters.
- Have Evenings full of Party.
- Get lost in the maze of streets.
Check Best stay deals in Mykonos …
We landed in Mykonos from Santorini, by Super Jet Ferry on Old Port and left Mykonos through Blue Star Cruise on New Port. Ports of Mykonos are also worth visiting.
KEEP TRAVELING ….. KEEP WRITING……..
Check Mykonos on my Youtube video
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.