Let’s take a Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day – The City of Canals or The Floating City. One of the most Romantic cities in the world, this unique city is built on lagoons and you will find a crisscross of canals all across the city. Venice is the capital of the Veneto region of Northern Italy and is a famous historic place that is known for its beautiful architecture along water canals, ornate domes, spires, Italian cafes/bars, colorful buildings, thousands of small & big bridges. Let’s check Venice 1 day itinerary with beautiful things to do in Venice Italy. Save this Venice trip planner.
Let’s read about Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day Itinerary
One of the most visited places in the world as it is built on a small island which is adjoining to more than 100 small islands, surrounded by the Adriatic Sea. All these islands can be accessed by water taxis, Gondola boats, or while crossing bridges on foot.
STAY IN VENICE – Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day
When to visit Venice | Weather in Venice
Historical Venice – Venice In One Day
During the Middle Ages, Venice was having flourishing trade and was a major trade center in Europe. Being an important financial center Venice has many beautiful historical buildings, great sense of art & culture. Due to strict rules of restoration, the layout and structure of Venice are preserved to date and no modification can be done here. That is why visiting Venice is like Walking into the past.
Venice is divided into six zones – The Main San Marco Zone surrounding the Grand Canal. Then comes the artisan areas of San Polo near Rialto Bridge. The outer zones are home to the Ghetto and other popular places. Other than this city island you can also visit nearby islands like Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido, and San Giorgi Maggiore.
Due to a very hectic itinerary, I got the chance to visit Venice in one day or made a Day trip to Venice while commuting from Milan to Florence. Being a small city, Venice city tour can be done by walking tour from St. Mark square to Rialto. During this whole day, I tried to cover major attractions and the most important things to do here, but I would recommend having a night stay if you have some more time. Two to Three days are most recommended for this city of Canals, as a one-day covers a whole city tour and another day you can go for island hopping tours and spend some relaxing time at beautiful and colorful Burano or Murano.
Day Tour in Venice – What To Do In Venice In 1 Day
This biggest canal of Venice is am an important waterway and was used for a century for commuting. This S-shaped canal is surrounded by beautiful & colorful ornate buildings and also has three historic bridges. This canal is the most photogenic point of this city. On the banks of this canal, you can hire “Vaporetto” – public ferries (Venice’s Water Bus) or Gondola (Italian traditional wooden boat) to transfer here and there. Click here to book your public transportation – Waterbus & mainland buses. The major stops are at St. Mark’s Square and San Polo. Gondola rides are more expensive than Vaporetto rides. During this cruise admire the nearby beautiful buildings and the bridges when you pass under them.
PONTE DI RIALTO – RIALTO BRIDGE
One of the most iconic bridges over the Grand Canal. The most Instagrammable or photogenic point of this city is a pedestrian bridge that connects San Marco and San Polo. It attracts millions of tourists in a year. This ornate wooden bridge collapsed in the 1500s and was then restored afterward. From here you can reach the famous Rialto market where there are many shops selling Italian masks, jewelry, trinkets, handicrafts, and souvenirs.
PIAZZA SAN MARCO – ST. MARK’S SQUARE
The most famous square in this city which also attracts millions of visitors every year. Located across the Grand Canal, this square / Piazza has stunning architectural buildings, tower – St. Mark’s Campanile, Cathedral – St. Mark’s Basilica and Doge’s Palace.
MARK’S SQUARE – BASILICA CATTEDRALE PATRICIA LE DI SAN MARCO
This Roman Catholic Cathedral is the most famous city’s churches. It’s Baroque styled, Byzantine architecture is very impressive and historic too. This church dates back to 1060 and the main façade & dome is built according to Gothic style.
CAMPANILE DI SAN MARCO
Tallest Bell Tower of this city which is also located on San Marco. 323 ft. the high bricked tower which houses 5 bells. This tower also collapsed/destroyed in 1902 and again restored in 1912.
Venetian Gothic style of Italian Palace was once a residence of Doge of Venice (Supreme power of Venetian government) Located on Piazza San Marco, it is must-see museums as it has many ornate and lavish collectives.
BASILICA DI SANTA MARIA DELLA SALUTE
The second most impressive and famous church of this city is located opposite of St. Mark’s square on the Grand Canal. This Roman Catholic church has a Baroque style of interiors.
SAN GIORGIO MAGGIORE (ISLAND)
A small island not located on Grand canal but can be reached through it and then connecting through Venice Basin. It dates back to 790 and the view of the whole of Venice is marvelous. The perfect view of Venice can be captured from this island. Vaporetto (water bus) takes you there and on that island, you can go for a walking tour to see all the places.
Veneto’s most vibrant island which is famous for casinos and Film Festival this island has the sandy beach across the Adriatic Sea. Vaporetto(Water Taxi) takes you there.
MUST DO THINGS IN VENICE | DAY TRIP TO VENICE
- Take a Gondola ride or water bus cruise across the canals. You can book a 24/48 hours Hop On Hop Off Sightseeing boat trip. Click here to book your 30 minute Gondola ride across Grand Canal.
- Get lost into the narrow streets beside the canals. Cross the narrow small bridges and discover some unique backyards of Venetian houses.
- Try some special Italian cuisine at canal side cafes or restaurants. Italian Gelato is must try here. Click here to book a special food / culinary tour in Venice.
- Visit nearby islands. Go for Island hopping trip. Read complete guide on Visit Burano and Click here to book your island hopping trip to Murano, Torcello & Burano Islands.
- Explore some artsy and peaceful corners. You will find many art galleries and book ships hidden in beautiful houses.
- Prefer evening walks around the canals as the reflection of light in water canals are very romantic and dreamy.
TIPS FOR FIRST-TIMERS IN VENICE | VENICE IN ONE DAY – Venice trip Planner
- Museums are closed on Monday, so plan accordingly if you want to visit museums.
- If you visiting this city on Sunday, then don’t miss the special evening at 6:30 P.M. mass of St. Mark’s Cathedral.
- Peak seasons are from April to August. It can be expensive, hot, and overcrowded during peak seasons. I visited Venice in the winter month of February when I took a week-long trip to Italy. February is too cold here but I got less crowd and inexpensive options.
- Commute either by Water bus or by walking as Venice is a vehicle-free city.
- Beware in lonely corners during the evening as sometimes pickpocketing happens.
- GPS inside the city sometimes get confused as it has an unfathomable layout as compared to any city in this world.
- Evenings are very romantic.
HOW TO REACH VENICE | Day Trip To Venice – Venice in One day
If you are driving by Car – If you are driving or coming by car then you have to park your car for the whole of your stay duration at S. Giuliano for approximately 5 to 10 Euros per day. Then catch a bus from here to reach Venice’s main Grand Canal. Or park at Piazzale Roma for 24 Euro per day.
If you come by Train – Venice has two stations Venezia Mestre which is an industrial suburb and Venezia S. Lucia which is located over the Grand Canal. Sometimes high-speed trains do not stop at Santa Lucia station so, therefore, get down at Mestre station and catch a bus. Drop down at the train station of Santa Lucia and from here if you take the exit, then you will reach the Grand Canal.
I took an early morning train from Mila to reach Venice which took approximately 2.5 to 3 hours and then I deposited my luggage at the cloakroom named “Deposito Bagagli” facility on an hourly rental basis. Did a Venice city tour and in the evening I took my luggage and took a train to Florence. Florence is 2 to 2.5 hours from here. Click here to check train timetable or book tickets from ItaliaRail. ItaliaRail.com
If you are traveling by Air – Venice has own International Airport – MarcoPolo Airport from where you can take a public bus to reach the Grand Canal. Or you can book your shared water taxi from Marco Polo to your hotel in Venice, by clicking here.
If you are traveling by Cruise – Many International cruise ships coming from Greece or Croatia stop here at Venice.
Private Tour Options – Book your Venice in one day trip from Florence by clicking here. Or you can book Venice for 2 days tour from Florence with accommodation. Or book 5 days Best of Italy escorted tour to Assisi, Siena, Florence, Pisa, Bologna, Padova, Venice, and Montepulciano with hotel accommodations.
ITALY TRIP ITINERARY | Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day
- DAY 1 & 2 – Arrive at Rome and 2 days in Rome – Rome city tour and Vatican city tour. If you have more time then spend 4 days in Rome.
- DAY 3 – Check out and catch a fast train to Milan. After a short city tour of Milan and then proceed to Lake Como. Night Stay in Lake Como.
- DAY 4 -5 – Lake Como Tour
- DAY 6 – Lake Como to Milan and again a short tour in Milan. Milan to Venice – Venice in one day – In the late evening proceed to Florence. Night stay in Florence
- DAY 7 – Florence City Tour with Leaning Tower of Pisa. If you have another day, then go for the Tuscany countryside tour.
- DAY 8 – Check out from Florence and catch a train to Rome. Small city tour in Rome and then back to home.
Venice in One Day Preview Video
Italy Trip can also be combined with Switzerland Trip. Lake Come shares a border with Switzerland’s Lausanne city. So you can reach Italy from Laussane in Switzerland and follow this itinerary –
- LAUSSANE (In Switzerland)
- LAKE COMO (ITALY)
- FLORENCE – PISA – TUSCANY COUNTRYSIDE TOUR
- ALMAFI COAST – famous for Mediterranean-style beaches. (I missed Southern Italy during this trip due to winter and lack of time.)
CURRENCY OF ITALY – EURO
LANGUAGE – ITALIAN, Here station names and all locations are named in Italian and therefore you have to take care when you get down.
CUISINE – Pizza, Pasta, Italian cheese, Rissoto, Tiramisu, etc. Italian Gelato is a must-try. Vegetarians will not have a problem here as you can get some vegetarian options in Pizza and Pasta.
WHERE TO STAY IN VENICE | Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day Itinerary
Near the Grand Canal or Canal facing the hotel. Click here to check hotels near the Grand canal.
After returning from Venice, I was so much mesmerized by its beauty that I painted Canals of Venice with colorful houses. I love to paint my travel memories. Now my creation – this painting is sold and adorning some other person’s wall which is my Venice memory.
I would love to hear about your experiences with your Italy trip. I hope you would surely love reading Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day. Plan your Italy trip and save this Venice trip planner. Please mention in the comments
If you love this…… Then Pin It …………
Watch Lonely Planet’s Venice Video
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase