Interesting Places to Visit in Ukraine
Ukraine is the largest country in Eastern Europe. Ukraine is well-known for its colorful buildings, golden-domed cathedrals, rugged mountain-scapes, wild forests, Black-Sea coastline, folk traditions and vibrant culture. Ukraine is a young and developing nation, though not very famous in Tourism world it is a worth visiting country for natural beauty, marvelous architectures, and splendid cities.
Let’s go and Visit Top Interesting Places to Visit in Ukraine with Perfect Itinerary
LVIV – Cultural Capital of Ukraine
Lviv lies in Western Ukraine at about 70km from the border of Poland. Lviv also lies close to borders of Austria, Slovakia, Romania, and Hungary. This small European styled walkable city – LVIV is also known as PARIS OF EUROPE. Earlier Lviv was a part of Poland and in 1939, it became a part of Ukraine. In Lviv, you can find Polish architectures with the influence of Soviet style. Lviv is also the city of restaurants and cafes. If you are on diet then don’t go for Lviv as Lviv is heaven for foodies and have many uniquely themed cafes. Lviv is also famous for its coffee and chocolate manufacturing units.
TUNNEL OF LOVE at KLEVAN TOWN
It is a natural wonder in Klevan town, which is approximately 350 km from Kiev and 200 km from Lviv. This fairytale place is one of the most romantic destinations not in Europe but also in Europe. The old, mysterious, Industrial Railway line covered with interwoven bushes and trees will really surprise you with its unique beauty. Though this stretch is 6 km long it creates an optical illusion that Tunnel of Love is an endless or Infinite stretch. In earlier times, during the war, this track was strategically used to transfer goods and arms from one place to another through train hiding under the bushes. But now due to its charming and dreamy appearance, this is famous for Love among couples. Now couples take romantic vows under this natural tunnel. TIP – Apply Mosquito repellant before entering bushes as there are a lot of bees, flies, and mosquitoes.
Take a trip to the BLACK SEA BEACH AT ODESSA
ODESSA is favorite Party Destination of Ukraine with countless beach Shacks, bars, and clubs. Odessa also has a beautiful historical center inspired by Greek and Turkish architectures. This Port city on the Black Sea is a popular summer beach town with the beautiful dark blackish blue sea, ballet and Opera theaters, parks, and historical monuments.
KIEV – CAPITAL OF UKRAINE
Kiev is also the greenest capital of Europe with numerous colorful cathedrals with Golden domes. Get soak into marvelous architectures which have undergone several renovations. Kiev is the city which was destroyed many times and rebuilt thereafter. If you want to go for a History’s worst nuclear disaster site, then read this article on the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Click this link to read full guide on Best Things to Do in Kiev City Tour.
CARPATHIAN MOUNTAIN TOUR –
Green Pearl of Ukraine with emerald lakes, rugged mountain lines, dense & wild forests, meadows, gushing waterfalls and rough rivers. Enjoy the misty Carpathian for pure mountain air and in winters you can go skiing as there are many ski resorts. In summers, go for forest and mountain hikes along the borders of Romania, Slovakia, and Poland. Lviv is a closet city as it lies on the foothills of Carpathians. You can either stay in Lviv and go for a day trip to these mountains or can stay or camp in small towns in the Carpathians.
While taking a trip to above mentioned six places there are some in between Most Recommended things to do in Ukraine.
- Take a wonderful PHOTOSHOOT in SUNFLOWER FIELD – Ukraine is one of the largest exporters of Sunflowers in the world. There are many wide-spread sunflower fields with full blooms across the whole country either towards South-East or North-West regions of Ukraine. Take a small stop while going through road trip anywhere in between and can shoot most likable Instagrammable shots. TIP-
- Go for a ROAD-TRIP ALONG THE CURVED ROADS – Drive or Rent a Taxi and go for a road trip to different cities with beautiful countryside views on your sides. You will pass through lush green forests, tall trees or agricultural fields. Enjoy your drive through nature in Ukraine.
- Camp beside Lake – There are many unknown and hidden gems in Carpathian mountain range. These gems are emerald lakes with full of peace, serenity, and Camp beside them or hike to those lakes and spend some time there.
- HIKE THROUGH DENSE FOREST – Hike through dense forest or natural sanctuaries while plucking your favorite forest berries in between on Carpathian Mountain ranges. There are many natural sanctuaries scattered all over this region. Also, there are a lot of berry patches on this mountain region. Pluck your best berries. Berry patches are wide-spread in Ukraine.
- Take a tour to STRATEGIC MISSILE FORCE MUSEUM – Take a unique tour to this Missile Museum which was active in Cold war, Soviet era. It houses nuclear weapons, underground bunkers, passages, and Located at 300 km from Kiev on the way to Odessa, you can get the true onsite experience of going inside the missile launchers, tunnels with proper guided tours. These missiles are not functional in present times but this actual site is open for visitors for tours.
- CASTLE TOURS – There are many castles in small towns, countrysides, and villages near Kiev, Lviv, and When you will drive through Kiev to Lviv, you will pass along few of them where you can have a small stopover for climbing up high to get picturesque views of nearby villages.
These all things, I covered in 12 to 13 days.
I recommend this Itinerary which I made to cover all these Top Places to visit in Ukraine
Day 1 – Reach Kiev and enjoy Evening or Nightlife of Kiev (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 2- Kiev City Tour (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 3. Drive to Tunnel of Love, Castles and reach Lviv (Overnight in Lviv)
Day 4 – Lviv City Tour (Overnight in Lviv)
Day 5 – Carpathian Mountain day Tour (Early start and reach late back to the hotel for overnight stay in Lviv)
Day 6 – Drive to nearby countrysides of Lviv, small towns like Ivano Francisco, Sunflower field area. (Overnight in Lviv)
Day 7 – Drive to Kiev while passing through castles in between. (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 8 – Kiev City Tour Part 2. Kiev is a big city with many places to see so Kiev city tour can be divided into 3 parts. (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 9 – Early start to Odessa (475 km drive) in between stopping at Missile Museum (Overnight in Odessa)
Day 10 – Odessa City Tour. Leave to Kiev on the same day at late afternoon. (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 11 – Last part of Kiev City Tour with Nightlife on the same evening (Overnight in Kiev)
Day 12 – Shopping, casual walking, and back to home
There are many Day and Night Trains available for commuting between two cities. Also, you can go through internal flights through low-cost Internal Airlines. I used road transport as I like road trips because to halt in between small towns, castles, and cities.
TIPS FOR UKRAINE –
- The currency of Ukraine is Ukrainian Hryvnia, also known as UAH.
- Check closing days of monuments, museums, and cathedral before planning your visit.
- People do not understand ENGLISH much so there can be Language problem but you can rid of by using Google Translator. Always keep your Google Translator ready. Google Translator or any Translator App on your mobile is a must in Kyiv.
- There are different Visa formalities for Ukraine. Check on their website for more information. Indians now can visit Ukraine through Visa on Arrivals with small half an hour formality of stamping at Airport of Kiev. Check this official website for Visa information.
- Spring and Summers (April to September) are the best times to visit Ukraine
- Ukraine is well known for vibrant Nightlife. Nightlife lovers will enjoy in Ukraine.
- Ukraine offers various cuisines and you will not find any problem regards eating out. Kiev even has a beautiful street food culture. Vegetarians can find many options in Italian, Georgian, Indian and Grilled Section of Ukrainian Cuisines.
- Ukraine is safe and only you have to take general precautions.
- Ukraine is not very expensive. Shopping is good and affordable.
- For transportation in towns or cities of Ukraine, you can use Uber, Metro and walk. Walking along Historic town is best. Uber is also quite efficient here. For inter cities you can take a flight, rail routes or taxis. Taking taxis from one city to another is not very expensive in Ukraine.
Very shortly, I will be publishing Lviv City and Odessa City tour in detail with full guide of art, culture, Gastronomy tours in Ukraine.
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase