Lake Como is situated in the strategic location surrounded by stunning French and Swiss Alps in northern Italy. This lake originated from the glacier has an upside-down Y shape surrounded by wooded hills, snow-clad Alps, and quaint Italian towns which are considered to be the deepest lake in Europe. Lake Como is not only the most popular tourist destination of Italy but it attracts A-lister celebrities, Hollywood personalities, and aristocrats from all over the world. Serving as one of the world’s most popular holiday destination, this lake can turn an ordinary man into artist/poet. Famous poet P.B. Shelly also felt in love with this lake and praised about Lake Como in its poetry – “This Lake exceeds anything I ever beheld in beauty.” So let’s go for Lake Como – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination.
Because of the stunning scenic landscape, fresh mountain air, spectacular beauty of nature, Lake Como have residences/historical villas of many celebrities like George Clooney, Sylvester Stallone and Richard Branson, Madonna etc. During your holidays, who know, you may end up in brushing shoulders with famous personalities, who owns lakeside villas. Read why Lake Como should be included in Italian bucket list travel itinerary.
Lake Como Boat Tour | Where to go in Lake Como | Visit to Lake Como from Milan – Lake Como – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination
The famous towns which are worth visiting and are located on the shores of Lake Como are –
Bellagio is a beautiful little photogenic town located on the intersection of 3 branches of Y shaped lake. It is known for historic and charming promenades, gardens, Villa Serbelloni, and Villa Metsi. Can be reached through ferry from the nearby town or road routes. It is also known as “Pearl of the Lake.”
Located on southern end of Lake, it is the main city of all towns on the shore of Lake Como. We made Lake Como as our base and stayed here in the lakeside hotel. Lake Como city is famous from ancient times for its 14th century Duomo, built according to Gothic & Renaissance styles. This city has great shopping atmosphere with an availability of all luxury brands as it is very close to Milan(hosts top International fashion houses). Also, it is the home of Italian Silk Manufacturing hub.
Lying on the foothills of Alps, Menaggio has many lively beautiful resorts. Popular with travel enthusiasts for walking along the lake, hiking Alps, windsurfing and rock climbing. This town has Villa del Balbbanello in the village Lenno, where Star Wars Episode Two – Attack of Clones was shot. Also known as Picture Post card city of Lake Como.
A very small town located on the eastern shore of Lake Como is a very peaceful, relaxed and beautiful place. There is a medieval castle with lush green gardens in this town. Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero are worth visiting villas in this town.
TREMEZZO The Very little town just across Bellagio known for its famous attraction Villa Carlotta with its spectacular waterfront botanical garden.
I visited all these towns by Hop-On, Hop-Off ferry instead of car or bus. As I wanted to enjoy my all time on waters with spectacular views of lakeside luxurious palatial villas, scenic mountains, greenery and quaint towns. It was chilly somewhat because everything was covered with snow. Mostly Lake Como is preferred in summers, but we did our Lake Como tour inthe month of February which is cold and freezing.
This town is recommended majorly for nature lovers. Lake Como is basically for those who love countryside, cobbled street quaint towns, view of colorful houses on slopes of Alps, peaceful, relaxed and laid back life style. That is why Lake Como is known as one of the most relaxed destinations of the world. Inhale the pure and fresh mountain air with deep fragrances of cypress, olives, oranges and pine trees.
Where to stay in Lake Como
How to reach Lake Como – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination
- Nearest International Airport to Lake Como– MILAN (MILANO).
- From Milan, you can reach here in several ways like rail/trains, buses, car or bikes. If you are staying in Milan then read about Best of Milan – Go for a Milan sightseeing tours.
- You can also stay in Milan and visit Lake Como as a full day trip tour.
- Trentalia , Eu-rail or Intercity trains runs from Milan to Lake Como. Trains take 1.5 hours to reach Lake Como from Milan and around 6 Euro per person. The distance from Milan to Lake Como is approximately 40 km. Beware, there are 3 stations in Lake Como – Como Nord Lago, Como San Giovanni, and Como Nord Borghi. Get down at the station which is closer to your stay.
- Rent a car is available at Milan airport to reach here. If you have 24 hours to spend in Milan then read this.
Commuting in Lake Como and its surrounding towns | Day trips from Lake Como, Italy
If you love Alpine lakes then go for Lake Maggiore, Lago di Tovel, Trentino from here. Common city Pass is available which can be used on public ferries and buses. A day pass is valid for a whole day with multiple numbers of visits. These ferries are the best option to do inter-town tours. Also, public buses are another option to reach one town to another. Go for sailing on Lake Garda which is nearby Lake Como.
Best tips for Lake Como | The most popular attraction of Italy
- When going to Lake Como from any city nearby, do it in the daytime as the route is very scenic and I recommend that don’t miss that scenic view either from a train or from car/bus. As Lake Como is very close to Switzerland border you can plan a combo Switzerland trip with this. Read more about Holidays to Switzerland.
- Summers are more lively and beautiful but very expensive too. So if you want to save some cost, then go for off-season.
- Ferry rides are must to visit little towns on the shore of Lake Como
- Stay in a lakeside hotel, with a lake facing room or take a room with a view of lakes and mountain.
- Specialized Villa tours are available which can be checked on their personal website for timings and other vital information.
- Ideal for Destination weddings or other Events.
- Know more about what to pack for Italy – a complete Italy Packing List.
- Before planning for Italy trip, read 101 important tips for Italy.
- Read about exciting 10 Days Italy Road trip Itinerary.
- If you going to Florence during your Italian vacations then read this.
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result into legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are independently owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.