Frankfurt is one of the most developed metropolitans, exciting, vibrant, city of Germany. Not only this vibrant city is famous for the busiest international airport and major financial hub of central Europe, but the beautiful city has wonderful river banks, ancient German homes with modern skyscrapers, art installations, sunset over river Main, vibrant markets, museums, and busy nightlife. There are many sightseeing places in Frankfurt for a one-day city tour and so let’s take a quick read of Places to visit in Frankfurt Germany – One day visit. Plan your Frankfurt city tour and explore things to do in Frankfurt, Germany with me with some useful tips on where to stay, facts about this city, how to reach & commute, and other experiences.
As Frankfurt’s airport is well-connected to many cities in the world, I took my return flight back home from this city. That is why I had 24 hours to explore this city and I booked my one-night hotel stay in Frankfurt before taking off. So check some places to visit in Frankfurt, Germany one day visit or things to do in Frankfurt, Germany for a day.
FRANKFURT CAN BE REACHED FROM –
- International Airport – Frankfurt has the busiest airport in Germany and well-connected to all the parts of the world. Europe’s 4th biggest airport is Frankfurt and its baggage system is 67 km long. Lufthansa is the national carrier of Germany.
- By Rail or Road – Frankfurt is the main financial hub of central Europe is well connected by the Euro rail network from nearby European cities.
- Nearby German cities from Frankfurt are Berlin and Munich which are at a distance of 6 hours and 4 hours respectively.
WHERE TO STAY IN FRANKFURT – HOTEL OPTIONS IN FRANKFURT –
If you are visiting for a short layover or even for more days, then it is always recommended to stay in the Downtown area. The nearby areas of the Central railway station of Frankfurt – Frankfurt(Main) Hauptbahnhof are very vibrant and many of the attractions are within walking distance. Read reviews about Hilton Frankfurt City Center.
Check some of the worth-visiting attractions of sightseeing places for first-timers in Frankfurt, Germany –
Highlights of Quick Frankfurt tour | Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit
You can find the medieval style of architecture with lots of timber colorful houses. This square is known for its 15th century-old traditional German houses, Christmas markets, trade fairs, and is the heart of historic Altstadt. A very popular tourist attraction with numerous eateries, roadside joints, souvenirs shops, and a vibrant market place with ancient architecture.
One of the city’s most important landmarks. It is a medieval-style of a building located in heart of the historic Altstadt of Frankfurt am Main. It used to be City hall for more than 600 years before and is located opposite to St. Nicholas Church.
This famous historic square has a famous St. Paul’s Church. It is the largest square in the old town area.
ALTE OPER (FRANKFURT OPERA HOUSE)
Opera house of Frankfurt which was inaugurated in 1884 and was destroyed by bombing in 1944 during WWII. Rebuilt in 1974, this impressive building with lots of open space and a small garden all around is nice for photo-op and a small stopover during your Frankfurt one day tour.
Famous author and poet’s house. So if you love Goethe’s work then his house is a must-visit. What Shakespeare is for English literature, the same is Goethe for German literature. Now, this house is full of period furniture and information about the life of Goethe.
Frankfurt has many renowned museums and depicts classic paintings and sculptures to football and technology. Visit Städel, one of Germany’s oldest museums, as it has an art collection for 700 years, which is very impressive and world-famous too.
Another museum is the Museumsufer (Museum Embankment) located on the banks of Main River which depicts German film and the city’s Jewish history. Also for children, there are many interesting museums like to check some dinosaur skeletons at the Senckenberg Museum of Natural History.
Take a stroll by the banks of the Main River. It’s especially beautiful at night when the riverside is illuminated and you can see the beautiful skyline of Frankfurt from here. Cross the Iron Bridge, watch the numerous party boats taking off for their cruises on the river. There many cafes, bars, and eateries right off the river. There is a jogging track, walking area, cycling path, small gardens along the riverbank where you can spend your evening time with a view of the river and skyline.
FRANKFURT SKYLINE | Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit
Frankfurt has Germany’s 14 tallest towers and also many beautiful skyscrapers. Admire the modern European architecture from rooftops, riverside, or the balcony of your hotel. This illuminated modern skyline of Frankfurt depicts the busy and vibrant nightlife.
LOVELOCK BRIDGE – IRON BRIDGE – EISERNER STEG
For fantastic views of the city and numerous love locks around this Gothic style of bridge. The only pedestrian bridge in this city.
As Frankfurt is one of the biggest commercial hub, so it is famous for great shopping too. Check some wonderful international designer style shopping in Frankfurt.
The major shopping areas of this city are Zeil, Goethestrasse, Grosse Bockenheimer Strasse, Schillerstrasse, Berger Strasse.
SCULPTURE AND ARTWORKS
Frankfurt has wonderful street art and art sculptures on the main square of street corners. Spot your favorite one and have a photo-op with them.
FINANCIAL DISTRICT – CENTRAL EUROPEAN BANK
The site of the European Central Bank is worth a visit. See the transformation of old Grossmarkt into this super modern conglomerate of low-rise and skyscrapers is just amazing. With a very huge sculpture of the Euro, this modern building is worth visiting from outside.
FAMOUS FESTIVALS OF FRANKFURT, GERMANY
- Christmas markets – Starts from November last week to December. Frankfurt’s Christmas market is one of the best Christmas markets in the world.
- Apple Wine Festival – Mostly in September
- Main Festival – August first week
- Opera Square Festival – Mostly from June to July
- Autumn Dippemess – September 3rd week
- The Museum Embankment Festival – August last week
- Spring Dippemess – Traditional 14th century fair hosted to date during springtime. Check official dates of events and festivals on Frankfurt tourism website.
COMMUTING IN FRANKFURT
Walking tours are the best thing to do in Frankfurt. Apart from walking tours, public transport is well-developed and well-maintained. I loved tram and bus rides in Frankfurt.
FACTS ABOUT FRANKFURT | Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit
- Famous poet and author – Goethe was born here.
- Over 1 in 4 Frankfurters are foreigners.
- 14 out of 15 tallest towers in Germany are located in Frankfurt.
- Frankfurt is famous for apple wine.
- Frankfurt is the financial and commercial hub of the central hub.
DAY TRIPS FROM FRANKFURT | Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit
- Drive two hours west of Frankfurt and you’ll reach Cochem.
- Visit the French town of Strasbourg on the French-German border. CLICK HERE TO READ COMPLETE STRABOURG GUIDE
- Hop on an eastbound train from Frankfurt and you’ll reach Wurzburg in just under 90 minutes.
- Visit Cologne.
- The Schwarzwald, or the Black Forest, is a region about 240 km (150 miles) south of Frankfurt.
- The city of Mainz is just 45 minutes outside of Frankfurt, making it an easily reachable spot for a day trip from Frankfurt.
- Take a Rhine River valley cruise
- Take a day tour to Heidelberg from Frankfurt. CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT DAY TOUR TO HEIDELBERG FROM FRANKFURT
- Visit the shopping village of Wertheim Village from Frankfurt.
- The well-preserved medieval town of Rothenburg is a very popular place to visit from Frankfurt.
- Visit Eltz Castle from Frankfurt.
- Visit the famous Neuschwanstein Castle from Frankfurt.
- The picturesque old town of Hanau sits just 20 kilometers away from central Frankfurt, making it an easy place for a day trip.
- A trip to Darmstadt is an excellent option for Frankfurt.
- The second-largest city in Bavaria is certainly worth a stop on your itinerary around Frankfurt.
BEST TIME TO VISIT FRANKFURT
April to September is the peak season and best time to visit
March to April & September to October are shoulder seasons where you can feel the change of season and fewer crowds.
November to February ends are very cold and freezing in Frankfurt. If you love winter snow and winter markets then winter is the best time to visit this city.
I hoped you loved reading Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit, and do let me know your favorite place in Frankfurt. From my experience, I would say if you have 2 to 3 days here then it would be great as there are many day trips from here.
RELATED READS | Places To Visit In Frankfurt, Germany – One Day Visit
- Most Beautiful Places In Europe To Visit In Summer – Visit Most Romantic Places in Europe
- Most Beautiful Waterfalls In The World – Waterfalls Pictures
- Most Beautiful And Best Skylines In The World – How To Draw Skyline
Loved it…. Then Pin it….
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
If you wish to collaborate/work with me then contact me at email@example.com.
Follow my blog on social media channels at
All content and photos belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com and use of content / photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase