Vienna is the capital city of Austria which has flavors of intellectualism, art, and romanticism. Vienna has been greatly influenced by famous legends like Sigmund Freud, Mozart, and Beethoven. It lies in the eastern part of Europe bordering with Czech, Slovakia, and Hungary and has a high quality of life and living according to many surveys. It ranks second after Melbourne for High Quality of Life. Vienna houses many international organizations like UN and OPEC. Feel the great culture, art, music, history and famous Viennese coffee houses during your Quick Vienna Tour. Let’s check Things to Do in Quick Vienna, Austria Tour.
Quick Read: – If you going going Europe for first time then read best way to travel through Europe with many tips which are useful for first-timers.
List of Things to Do in Quick Vienna, Austria Tour –
It is an 18th-century summer residence of Habsburgs Royal family. This Palace consists of many impressive ceremonial rooms with grand frescoes and artistic works. This palace has 1440 grand rooms all decorated in their own and unique style. This palace is surrounded by sprawling manicured gardens, maze, and huge open areas. You can spend few hours in this open areas. You can go through famous maze formed by bushes and shrubs or you can trek up to the green hill to Gloriette. Gloriette is a stunning Roman styled arch which overlooks the Palatial grounds and fountains. The view of Palace with gardens from Gloriette is amazing. You can also go to famous zoo “Tiergarten” – Oldest Zoo in the world in the Palace area.
Tip – Visit this attraction early or first in the morning to avoid huge crowds later on. Take a guided audio tour with tickets for the palace to have all the details and history of Palace and Vienna. There is a special discount for Vienna Card holders for this palace. Click here to purchase Vienna city card which has unlimited free access to public transport with hop on hop off add on.
Schönbrunn Park is free to enter and open all year for visitors. This park has a great collection of fountains, statues, monuments, zoo, flora & fauna, horse carriages, zoo, and maze. Click here to book your guided tour to garden and Palace.
Schönbrunn Palace requires a ticket to enter which you can purchase online from their official site to avoid huge Q’s. Click here to book your skip the line tour at Schonbrunn Palace with Vienna city tour. Click here for timings, the price of ticket, map/Location of Schönbrunn Palace.
Located in the center of the old city this Palace is a great example of Neo-classical to Baroque architectures. This 13th century Palace was a royal residence for Habsburg monarchy till 1918 but now it houses the office of President of Austria. This Palace is also known as Imperial Palace.
Hofburg Palace opens every day from 9:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. which varies according to the season. There is an entrance fee to visit inside. Admire the splendid and magnificent collections of noble royal family. Check the official website of Hofburg Palace for full details.
St. STEPHEN’S CATHEDRAL
This is an icon of Vienna or it forms the iconic skyline of Vienna. It was constructed in the 12th century with Gothic Architectures. From North towers, you can have spectacular views of Vienna. This cathedral was severely damaged during World War II and Turkish War, but it was reconstructed later on. This cathedral has beautiful interiors with beautiful relics decorated in gold and precious stones. Many famous legends have their final resting place in this cathedral. You can also attend weekly mass and Easter concerts. Entry is free but for climbing towers and visiting catacombs, you need to pay a nominal amount of 6$ per person.
AUSTRIAN PARLIAMENT BUILDING
This is not the only center of the political activity of Austria but a beautiful historic building with noble architecture which is following Greek and Roman styles. The state of Pallas Athnene in front of it is an eye catcher and a wonderful piece of sculpture. You can visit inside and take impressions of how politicians work actually. Go through their official guided tours and check their timings by clicking here.
The UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA
Public University of Vienna, Austria is one of the oldest University in German-speaking area. It is one of the largest University of Europe and famous for Humanities Faculty. 15 Nobel prize winners have been associated with this University.
This 18th-century place is an excellent example of Baroque architecture. It is divided into two parts –
- The Upper Belvedere
- The Lower Belvedere
Go for the lovely views of whole Vienna city from Upper Belvedere.
GENERAL INFO VIENNA – QUICK VIENNA TOUR
- Vienna is the perfect place to be visited in Central Europe and with it, there are many places nearby which you can plan your own Central Europe tour. Read more about Central Europe itinerary – Austria – Prague – Hungary.
- There are many things to do in Vienna Tour for which you really need a couple of days more to spend here. Be it a classical music opera compositions by Vienna’s Mozart or passing through magnificent. Grab Vienna’s famous creamy and frothy coffee which is not to be missed. Vienna has a vibrant and colorful Coffee culture.
- There are many other exciting things to do in Vienna, read about 25 top things to do here.
- Vienna can be very much planned during weekends and you can have 1, 2 or 3 Days trip to Vienna.
- Check Best Christmas Markets in Vienna and read here to know about the 25 best places to spend Christmas in other parts of Europe too.
HOW TO REACH VIENNA
Vienna is the International Airport of Austria.
Vienna is very well connected to the Euro Rail network and therefore can be reached through major cities of Europe.
COMMUTING IN VIENNA
Metro and Public transport is cost effective and time efficient mode of transport.
WHERE TO STAY IN VIENNA – WHAT TO EAT IN AUSTRIA
- Stay near Vienna Main Railway station or at famous shopping street of Vienna – “Kaerntnerstrasse”. This lively shopping street starts from State Opera House to St. Stephen’s Cathedral and also located in the heart of Vienna. Check my stay at Mariahilfer Straße which is the Vienna’s largest shopping street by clicking here.
Try some wonderful traditional Austrian food when visiting Austria.
DAY TRIPS OR SIDE TRIPS FROM VIENNA –
- Go for Day trip or overnight stay to Salzburg – City of Music and beautiful countryside surrounded by the Austrian Alps. Click here to book your Sound of Music tour to Salzburg from Vienna with beautiful stopovers.
- Check beautiful Austrian lakes while going to Salzburg and click here to book your Austrian lakes with Salzburg tour.
- Hallstatt is another beautiful Austrian town which you can also go for a day trip or side trip from Vienna.
- Click here to book your Melk, Hallstatt and Salzburg private trip.
- Or you can go for cycling around the famous Danube path to Budapest from Vienna.
As Vienna is on the border to Prague (Czech Republic) Hungary(Budapest) you can go for side trips or long weekend trips to these places. Generally, people include Austria, Prague (Czech Republic) and Budapest in their Eastern Europe Tour. Click here to book your Prague day trip from Vienna. I did Austria and Prague during East Europe Tour. Read this for what to do in Historical Prague.
Till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase