Where to stay in Historical Athens – Hotel stays in Athens
I stayed in 360 Degrees with a view of Acropolis and had the experience of the historical side of Athens and Hotel Titania for having the flare of Modern Athens.
Click here to have a look at these two hotels.
Best time to visit Athens
- Spring time – March to May
- Autumn time – September to November
- Summer time – June to August are very hot and over crowded too
- Winter time – Dec to Feb can be windy and rainy. (off peak season).
Places to Visit in Athens | What to do in Athens
Athens is the capital and largest city of Greece in south-eastern Europe. Famous for 5th-century old Greek civilization it is also the historical capital of Europe. Historical Athens is also known as the birthplace of DEMOCRACY. Democracy was first introduced to the world in 500 B.C. by Greek kings in Athens, which is now the most commonly accepted in many parts of the world and is running successfully all over. Let’s read about What to do in Athens in this post.
Explore Athens by getting lost into its enchanting history and lovely heritage sites. So get ready to know WHERE TO GET LOST IN HISTORICAL ATHENS | Places to visit in Athens –
Get Lost into Acropolis and its surrounded areas. Acropolis is a settlement located on the hilltop which is seen from everywhere in Athens. Acropolis is done by walking tours as it takes around 3 to 5 hours in a hurried speed and if properly then 2 days. There are many combination tickets available at the entrance of Acropolis which is valid for many days or single day option is also there. Click here to book your Acropolis Skip a line ticket with an audio tour on phone. You can also purchase Athens City Pass which includes access to Acropolis museum, historic sights and other sights with 2-day Hop-On Hop-Off Bus tour. Or you can book Hop On Hop Off bus separately without entrance to museums by clicking here. Know more about best monuments in Athens to visit.
Get Lost in –
Constructed in 447 B.C. when Greek power was at its peak, this is a Greek temple dedicated to Goddess Athina on which Athens has been named. In the Greek language, Athens is known as Athina.
This is a marble temple situated to the north of Acropolis. It is dedicated to Athina and Poseidon. Built between 421 and 406 B.C.
3.) ODEON OF HERODES ATTICUS
This is a ancient amphitheater built in 161 A.D. and renovated in 1950. It is a stone structure on the south-west slope of Acropolis. Many open air musical concerts are arranged here with authentic feel of the old Greek era. Book your tickets in advance
4.) THEATRE OF DIONYSUS
This Theatre is built in 6th century B.C., on the foot of Acropolis which is a major theatre in Athens. It is the first stone-cult theatre which can occupy 17000 people. Dedicated to Dionysus, goddess of wine and plays.
5.) AGORA OF ATHENS
Located to the northwest of Acropolis.
These all five places are located in Acropolis area. As these places are scared, proper care should be taken while visiting them.
- No eatables are allowed inside. Water is allowed inside.
- Touching and sitting on them are not allowed.
- There is a lot of walking involved in open sun, so be prepared for this.
- While walking down you will reach Plaka street.
6.) EXPLORE PLAKA STREET –
It is like a small village or island under the shadow of Acropolis. Famous for shopping for Greek things. Antique bars and cafes with authentic food are located here. Also, explore Anafiotika in Athens – one of the most photogenic streets of this historical city.
7.) ACROPOLIS MUSEUM –
This museum is archaeological museum on the findings of the archaeological site of Acropolis of Athens. It was founded in 2003.
8.) TEMPLE OF OLYMPIAN ZEUS-
It is a monument of Greece and a former colossal temple at the center of Greek capital Athens.
9.) HEPHAESTUS TEMPLE-
It is well preserved modern Greek temple.
10.) PLATIA SYNTAGMATOS (SYNTAGAMA SQUARE) –
Also known as ‘Constitution square’ because of Parliament located here. it is located in central part of Athens. Famous shopping areas and hotels are located in this area. Well connected by bus, taxis and metro. Prefer to stay here when in Athens. In front of Greek Parliament, there is special Guard of Honor Ceremony takes place at every hour which is worth watching.
11.) BEACHES AND HARBOR OF ATHENS-
Piraesus is old port city located within Athens urban area. This is a classical port city of Athens. It conducts all import and transit trade of Athens.
12.) NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF ATHENS –
It houses most of the important artifacts of Greek civilization and culture collected from archaeological sites around all over Greece. Click here to view visitor timings and opening days.
13.) UNIVERSITY OF ARTS & CULTURE, ATHENS –
Located in Syntagma Square this place is very lively and modern.
14. ) EVENINGS OF ATHENS:-
Book your table on a rooftop bar to get a perfect view of Acropolis, under the evening skies with many colorful shadows falling all over Acropolis, with your favorite drink or coffee. Many bars and cafes are located on top of the hotel to give this perfect view of ancient historical Athens with authentic Greek food and drinks. Some of them are ‘A’ for Athens, Acropolis View Hotel, 360 Cocktail bar, and many more. This picture I have taken from 360 Cocktail bar.
Book 3-course dinner with live Greek dance performances in historic Plaka by clicking here.
I went to Kalokerinos for dinner with a dance show. Check Kalokerinos by clicking this link.
KEY EVENTS OF HISTORICAL ATHENS
- Rockwave festival (July)
- Athens & Epidaurus Festival (June – Aug)
- International Jazz & Blues Festival (Jun)
- Athens International Dancing Festival (July)
- August Moon Festival (August)
- Athens International Film Festival (Sept-Oct)
- Athens Carnival (Jan-Feb)
DAY TRIPS FROM ATHENS
- Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon.
- Hydra, Poros and Aegina daycruise from Athens – Visit Saronic islands from Athens.
- Mycenae, Epidaurus, and Nafplio.
- Delphi & Meteora 2 days tour from Athens.
- Ancient Olympia.
- Ancient Corinth guided tour.
USEFUL READS ON ATHENS –
- From Athens there are many one or two day tours to other places. Read this for planning whole Greek vacations.
- Looking for luxurious stay in Santorini then read my reviews on this
- There are many sayings or quotes showing why people love to visit Greece. Greece is lovely.
- Visit Temple of Poseidon a perfect day trip at Cape Sounion.
- Read about 10 places where you can get the best Views of Athens from Backpackers Wanderlust.
- There are many exciting Day trips from Athens, which you would love to do it.
- Means of transportation in Athens – Private Bus tours like Big BUS, metro, trams, Walking or Foot tours and public buses.
- Currency – Euro
- Shopping Tips– Leather sandals, Purses, Greek-styled jewelry, Greek cotton clothes, artifacts, pumice stones, Handmade olive soaps, Olives, Fruits, and many more.
- Greek people are friendly and hospitable.
- Vegetarians will love this place as lots of vegetarian food is available in Greek styled cuisine.
So come with me and GET LOST IN HISTORICAL ATHENS in my way.
Related Reads –
- Best Things to do in Mykonos
- Explore Volcanic Santorini
- Go for Excursion to Delphi and Meteora.
- Read these facts before planning for to Greece.
- Greece Itinerary.
Loved it… Then Pin it….
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.