From museums to iconic monuments to American history, you find everything in one of the most important capital cities in the world. Washington D.C. formerly known as Washington (District of Columbia) is situated along Potomac river on East coast of U.S.. I did Washington Trip during my East Coast Tour in U.S. and so presenting you Washington D.C. Guide with general tips. Washington shares boundary of three states Virginia, Columbia & Maryland.
Washington has many nicknames Federal City, City of Magnificent Distances, The American Rome and many more. Washington D.C. houses many famous museums that have collections in the field of culture, art, science, history and air-space.
WASHINGTON D.C. GUIDE
UNITED STATES CAPITOL – This building is one of the most famous building in the world. This beautiful dome faced building houses US Senates and US House of Representatives. Free public tours of US Capitol are available on specific timings and days which can be checked on official website.
WHITE HOUSE – Landmark building which is an official residence and workplace of US President. The architecture of this building is Neoclassical style and was constructed during 1792 & 1800.
LINCOLN MEMORIAL – This memorial is built in honor of US President Abraham Lincoln. It is located in western end of National Mall.
The building is built in Greek styled temple and has big statue of Abraham Lincoln. From this location many famous historical speeches were given named “The Second Inaugural Address”, “I have a Dream” and many more.
WASHINGTON MONUMENT – It is an obelisk in National Mall built to honor George Washington, U.S.’s first President. It is 555 foot high and world’s tallest stoned obelisk structure.
UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT BUILDING – Permanent Home of the Court and built in 1935. It is a National Historic Landmark.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART – It is nation’s museum which has well preserved collects, exhibits and works of Art. It is surrounded by sculpted garden which was established in 1937.
NATIONAL AIR & SPACE MUSEUM – It holds largest collection of historic airplanes, space craft and can be considered as Aviation museum. It possesses the evolution of Airplanes and even the first Wright Brother’s planes. Many show runs related to astronomy, space-flights and simulators in this museum. Entry to museum is free but Donations are accepted. For watching shows you need to purchase tickets.
SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE – It is an institute which forms a group of 19 museums and 9 research centers to increase and diffuse knowledge. This is a historical building also well known as castle. Admissions to all Smithsonian Museum is free. There are many museums which are at walk able distances from each other.
PENTAGON – Five sided structure headquarters of US defense.
NATIONAL MALL – Most visited national park of America. There are many monuments with reflecting pool and memorials in this park to honor America’s sacrificing heroes and great presidents.
There are many more things to do in Washington D.C. but I could manage these top-listed 10 places during 1 day.
My tips for Washington D.C. Guide.
- Spring to Fall is the best time for touring in Washington D.C. but summers can be really very hot. If going in summers carry hats and sun protection creams.
- Wear comfortable shoes as lots of walking involved in seeing and visiting huge monuments surrounded by park and gardens.
- Parking near the monuments is difficult, so if you are coming by car then leave your car at hotel or you have to park slightly far. Metro and public Bus services are good options for internal travel.
- It is better to book hotel outskirts as hotels near city center are over-priced and without free car park.
- Be prepared of security checks and metal detectors.
- Carry loads of bottled water & handy food as there are chances to stand long in Q’s.
- Plan ahead for museum entries and their shows. Though entrance to special monuments is free but it requires lot of time planning.
- Don’t try to overdo because Washington D.C. has so much and not much interested. Make your top activity list while researching. We skipped many museums but tried our best to go for Air & Space Museums because my children are Science & Aviation enthusiasts.
- Washington D.C. is a place for young children as they have many educational, scientific and historic things to get indulged into. Read more about Top things to do in Washington D.C. with kids.
There are many other worth visiting cities of US, which I have toured during East Coast Tour of U.S.
Soon writing on many US cities on East Coast which I covered along my trip. Till then…..
KEEP TRAVELING…………………..KEEP EXPLORING……………………………….
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by the site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.