From museums to iconic monuments to American history, you find everything in one of the most important capital cities in the world. Washington DC formerly known as Washington (District of Columbia) is situated along Potomac river on East coast of U.S… I did Washington Trip during my East Coast Tour in the U.S. and so presenting you Washington DC Guide or know more about different things to do in Washington DC. Washington shares boundary of three states Virginia, Columbia & Maryland.
Washington has many nicknames Federal City, City of Magnificent Distances, The American Rome and many more. It houses many famous museums that have collections in the field of culture, art, science, history, and air-space. Click here to book your Washington DC day tour from New York.
Washington DC Guide | Different Things to do in Washington DC
UNITED STATES CAPITOL
This building is one of the most famous buildings in the world. This beautiful dome faced building houses US Senates and US House of Representatives. Free public tours of US Capitol are available on specific timings and days which can be checked on the official website. Click here to book US Capitol Building tour and Library of Congress.
Landmark building which is an official residence and workplace of US President. The architecture of this building is Neoclassical style and was constructed during 1792 & 1800.
This memorial is built in honor of US President Abraham Lincoln. It is located in the western end of National Mall.
The building is built in Greek style temple and has a big statue of Abraham Lincoln. From this location, many famous historical speeches were given named “The Second Inaugural Address”, “I have a Dream” and many more.
It is an obelisk in National Mall built to honor George Washington, U.S.’s first President. It is 555 foot high and world’s tallest stoned obelisk structure.
UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT BUILDING
Permanent Home of the Court and built in 1935. It is a National Historic Landmark.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART
It is the nation’s museum which has well-preserved collects, exhibits, and works of Art. It is surrounded by a sculpted garden which was established in 1937.
NATIONAL AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
It holds the largest collection of historic airplanes, spacecraft and can be considered as Aviation museum. It possesses the evolution of Airplanes and even the first Wright Brother’s planes. Many shows run daily which are related to astronomy, space-flights, and simulators in this museum. Entry to the museum is free but Donations are accepted. For watching shows you need to purchase tickets. Click here to book your National Air & Space museum tour.
It is an institute which forms a group of 19 museums and 9 research centers to increase and diffuse knowledge. This is a historical building also well known as the castle. Admissions to all Smithsonian Museum is free. There are many museums which are at walkable distances from each other.
Five sided structure headquarters of US defense.
Most visited the national park of America. There are many monuments with reflecting pool and memorials in this park to honor America’s sacrificing heroes and great presidents.
DAY TRIPS FROM WASHINGTON | Washington DC Guide | Different Things to do in Washington DC
- Know more about Monticello state and click here to book this day trip.
- Or go for a Potomac river cruise to explore the George Washington’s old estate while passing through Mt. Vernon.
- Click here to book Potomac river cruise.
- Or go for 2 day combo tour to Niagara and Philadelphia and click here to know its details.
There are many more things to do in Washington D.C. but I could manage these top-listed 10 places for 1 day.
Where to stay in Washington DC ?
Book your hotels in advance by clicking your location below in the map –
My tips for Different Things to do in Washington DC
- Spring to Fall is the best time for touring in Washington D.C. but summers can be really very hot. If going in summers carry hats and sun protection creams.
- Wear comfortable shoes as lots of walking involved in seeing and visiting huge monuments surrounded by park and gardens.
- Parking near the monuments is difficult, so if you are coming by car then leave your car at the hotel or you have to park slightly far. Metro and public Bus services are good options for internal travel.
- It is better to book hotel outskirts as hotels near the city center are over-priced and without free car park.
- Be prepared for security checks and metal detectors.
- Carry loads of bottled water & handy food as there are chances to stand long in Q’s.
- Plan ahead for museum entries and their shows. Though entrance to special monuments is free it requires a lot of time planning.
- Don’t try to overdo because Washington D.C. has so much and not much interested. Make your top activity list while researching. We skipped many museums but tried our best to go to Air & Space Museums because my children are Science & Aviation enthusiasts.
- Washington D.C. is a place for young children as they have many educational, scientific and historic things to get indulged into. Read more about Top things to do in Washington D.C. with kids.
- Take a twilight tour of this city as all iconic monuments look wonderful. Click here to book Twilight evening tour bus tour.
- If you are visiting Washington state then check the scenic Amtrak train trip journeys.
There is much other worth visiting cities of the US, which I have toured during East Coast Tour of U.S.
KEEP TRAVELING…………………..KEEP EXPLORING……………………………….
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by the site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.