Khasab is a port city on northern Oman’s Musandam Peninsula. Khasab is located close to the UAE border at about 200km from Dubai. From Khasab Harbor, ancient styled wooden boats named “Dhow”(Arabic word for wooden boats) cruises the Strait of Hormuz, offering rugged coastal views surrounded by rocky mountains and dolphins sightings in the ocean. Let’s go for a Long weekend getaway to Khasab(Oman) from Dubai.
The Musandam Peninsula has enchanting Fjords or Khors, created by fragmented rocks stretching like a claw into the sea, and huge cliffs standing beside are splendidly reflected in the blue waters of the Strait of Hormuz.
The coast which meets the Strait of Hormuz extends some 600 km. These stunning Fjords have been named “The Norway of Arabia”. Musandam area is divided into four parts –
- Khasab ( we stayed in Khasab)
10 Things to do in Khasab Musandam | Weekend trip to Oman from Dubai
- Dhow cruise Trip to Musandam Fjords- One full-day tour by Dhow through a traditional Omani decorated dhow where visitors are comfortably seated on the floor on cushions and carpets. Visitors are given the opportunity to find the ancient towns and snorkel the waters of Telegraph Island & Seepi Island, going to Khor Shem, Qanaha & Maqlab along the way. Also, dhow stops at dolphin sighting view in the middle of the sea where dolphins come along with us. Buffet lunch and refreshments are served on board. Snorkeling gear and towels are provided onboard. Timings of Cruise:- 10: A.M. TO 4:00P.M.
- Camping in Musandam Beach- People take camping stuff and do overnight camping on the beach beside the sea and mountains. People take their caravans also.
- Overnight staying at Dhow cruise under the moonlight to enjoy nights in the sea surrounded by cliffs. Dinner and breakfast are provided onboard.
- Mountain Safari to top of Fjords – You will need a 4 X 4 vehicle for this to reach Jebel Harim which offers a most beautiful view from the top at 2087m above ocean level. Visitors enjoy the beautiful views of the Hajar Mountains.
- Snorkeling & Swimming in Clear Waters– Dhow Cruise stops in the middle of the sea for an hour and offers snorkeling and swimming in between the sea.
- Natural Dolphin Watching along the Dhow Boat-
- Banana Boat ride, Local Beach Access with seagulls – Local beach of Khasab is good for beach lovers and can access water sports.
- Kayaking and Fishing– There are many fishing points in the Khasab area. Also, lots of Kayaks can enjoy kayaking.
- Khasab City Tour – A Very small city on the borders of UAE & Oman with local Arabic Culture and a small fort in Portuguese style.
- Trekking – Explore the Mountains of Musandam. From the top of the mountains have stunning views of the Gulf of Arabia and the Gulf of Oman. On top of the mountains, camping can also be done. Many people lay down their tents and stay here.
Nearest International Airports – Dubai in UAE and Muscat(Oman)
From Dubai it takes around 4 hours to reach here covering a distance of around 200kms by road.
Between UAE and Oman border there is a checkpoint border where our visas and passports are checked. Read more about 7 reasons to love Oman. Sometimes it takes a lot of time because of the huge rush on long weekends, so it is better to start early from Dubai so that Queue can be avoided. This place is a favorite of UAE for day trips and long weekend trips. Check visa formalities on Oman official site or go for an online visa before going. Driving after crossing the border to the Khasab city is very scenic. If you are spending a week in Oman, then check this Oman itinerary for a one week trip.
After reaching Khasab we stayed in the local 4-star hotel Atana Khasab hotel offering views of the sea with mountains and a swimming pool. Many rooms are facing the sea and many facing only mountains. The hotel is located on the rocks facing the sea. It offers professional diving courses also with professional instructors. Parking is free in the hotel.
Currency – Omani Rial
Food – Arabic and Continental
Atana Khasab hotel arranges cruise services and mountain safaris. These services pick up from a hotel and drop also. Oman is a great place for photography.
Muscat is the capital city of Oman and it is also worth visiting a place. Read about what to do and see in Muscat.
Thanks for reading… Love traveling……Love ADVENTURES………
Coming soon with new experiences.
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are an independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by the site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.