20 Things to know before Planning a Trip to Georgia(Eurasia) for first time Travelers……
- Georgia is known as Cradle of Wine. Many people believe as Greeks has introduced wine but during the latest findings of remains of oldest wine making vessels from 6000B.C. are found in Kakheti region of Georgia. Also not about the history but Georgia produces 500species of grapes and produces the world’s best tasting wines. So whenever you are in Georgia, taste Georgian wine and also when you return back then have some Saperavi(red), Mtsvane and Rkatsiteli(both white) grapes.
2. Georgia is known as Land of Hospitality. Therefore Homestays are very much recommended in Georgia. Prefer living with locals and be like locals to enjoy Georgia to the fullest. I am sure when you return back you have some good and loyal friends in Georgia.
3. Driving on highways of Georgia is rough sometimes therefore it is preferred to hire someone local to drive the car or go for public transport. But as there may not be public transport according to your time then hire a car with driver. Hiring a car with driver will not break your bank.
4. Georgia is not too expensive so you can afford many luxurious activities in pocket friendly budget.
5. In winters people come to Georgia to learn skiing and other winter sports with a trainer because it is inexpensive. Skiing is expensive game but here if you want to try out then you just have to pay 20 to 50 lari(Georgian currency) per hour which is super cheap.
6.Paragliding and Mountain bikes also comes in affordable rates and can be done without breaking the banks.
7. If you are animal lovers then Georgia is the place for you, as you see animals like horses, sheeps and cows roaming with you on roads and sometimes they are chasing you or you are chasing them.
8. There are many UNESCO heritage sites for history lovers. Many sites are 6th century B.C. and 12th century B.C.
9. Georgia follows Orthodox Christian religion and so religion lovers may find it interesting due to very old monasteries and churches on the peak of beautiful hills.
10. Health conscious people will also love Georgia because there are natural Sulphur Baths in Borjomi and Tbilisi known for their healing properties.
11. Georgian cuisine is very special and unique. Try Khachapuri, Lobiyo, Lobiyani and Khinkali. If you have not tasted Georgian food then you will miss something. Do you want to know more about Georgian cuisine then read this Georgian Food Guide?
12. Georgian sweet named Churchkhela made from thickened grape juice with walnuts as core are very famous and unique. They look like sausages. Must try and can be bought for gifting back at home.
13. Georgia is safe country. Not to worry much, only general precautions must be taken.
14.A one most important point don’t go to any adult night club in Georgia as there they will rip you off.
15.If you are a women then you will get special limelight from Georgian people especially from men. Georgian men are good flatterers of women and they make you feel so beautiful that you will feel like a princess or queen.
16. Georgia is known as Balcony of Europe as it is geographically present in Eurasia. So Georgian culture is influenced by both Europe and Asia. You can see and feel both the cultures here.
17.Georgia is surrounded by Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkey and so it has multicultural impact on society and when you go there you will feel all those things. Georgia offers VISA ON ARRIVAL(no charges on visa- just fly down there) for many countries.
18.As Georgia is very small country mostly its economy depends on tourism and agriculture, but here in some places you will find space age architecture in Georgia, as if some buildings will hold those Star war age.
19.Women are obliged to wear skirts(no pants) and cover their head in churches and men in full pants. If you don’t carry skirts and scarves are available outside the church free of cost.
20. Smoking is allowed almost everywhere.
21. You can drink tap water or the waters from Borjomi springs are very medicinal and healing type.
22. Plugs and adapters are similar to EU system.
23. Currency of Georgia is Georgian Lari and there are lot of money exchanges everywhere, for exchange. Just keep in mind before exchange you ask the rate and commission as they sometimes change their words are try to exchange some less. Many tour guides accept US dollars.
24. Georgian people are very family oriented people maintaining their relations upto 4th generation.
25. Don’t miss the opportunity to watch Georgian dance with Georgian music in some Georgian restaurant with their traditional décor and local food with Georgian wine.
Check about Kazbegi must see place in Georgia…
Also Georgia is beautiful during snow and a favorable destination for skiing. Click here to read about Georgia in winters.
Enjoy your Georgia Trip as you know all 20 Things for planning your Trip to Georgia………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result into legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are independently owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by site owner. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which owner of this site is not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.