Greece is a mountain Peninsula stretched across the eastern Mediterranean Sea and is the longest coastline of Europe. GREECE is among the top 20 tourist destinations of the world and millions of tourists travel every year to Greece. Tourism in Greece can be classified into 4 parts – Beaches, Mountains/Countrysides, Ancient Civilization/History, and Unique villages with their special white houses. This article discusses Interesting Things to Know for Planning an Exciting trip to Greece.
Interesting Things to Know for Planning an Exciting trip to Greece
- Greece is the most desirable and favorable holiday destination, so avoid a last-minute booking. Many destinations, ferries, or airlines are sold out before; therefore, plan and Book in advance before heading to Greece.
- When is the best time to visit Greece? Spring to Summer is the best time. During summer, Greece is very expensive for tourists. , so you can plan your trip in shoulder seasons like spring and Autumn. There are many exciting, fun things to experience during Christmas in Greece.
- Greece is not only Islands Tour, but it has beautiful Mountains, hills, and countryside during the Mainland visit. Plan for Mainland tours, too, through rolling hills and Mediterranean countryside. You can also do 7 days in Greece with some offbeat destinations.
- There are many beautiful islands in Greece. Plan for a few and don’t try to see all. Avoid the rush to all places as relaxing on a couple of islands is highly recommended for enjoying the peace and beautiful nature.
- On islands, Rent a Car or Bike Riding is recommended as there are fewer public transport facilities. Take your International License and drive yourself on islands. Even you can take your car on cruise/ferry.
- While booking for Ferry to different islands, check the super-fast ones or the cruise ones. Superfast ones are faster to reach, but the ride is bumpy, and you can feel seasick. But cruises are very comfortable, and the food is available onboard. Also, through internal flights or local airlines, you can visit or reach the islands. These regional airlines are very strict in baggage allowance. Check baggage allowance before booking them.
- Book for a stay in Greek styled Home. Many authentic and Greek-style homes are converted into boutique hotels. Stay in this to feel the Greek style of living.
- Vegetarians/ Vegan would love Greece, as there are great varieties of authentic Greek vegetarian dishes like Stuffed Capsicum/Tomato with Mediterranean flavored Rice, Spinach Risotto, Spinach Pie, Fava Beans, etc. Greece has many restaurants – Tavern-styled (wooden interiors ) which offer a large variety of vegetarian cuisine. My favorite was roasted eggplant with tomato and feta. Also, you will find a lot of types of seafood. Travel to Greece for famous Greek foods.
- Greek people are amiable and happy. They all understand English and can speak it also. Language is not a big problem.
- Greece is hot in summer, so carry a hat, sunscreens, umbrellas, and light cotton fabrics.
- Sunsets / Sunrise in Greece is wonderful. Don’t miss it. Be prepared with your cameras and their manual settings.
- Shopping in Greece is not expensive. Go for authentic Greek-styled leather sandals, cotton capes, volcanic stone jewelry, Olives, Handmade Olive soaps, Fashionable clothes, bags, Bohemian jewelry.
- Get Lost into mazed streets – You will get fun getting lost in narrow streets of islands which are surrounded by white houses and blue doors. They are like a maze. If you don’t carry a map or GPS, you can be a little lost.
- There are many cathedrals and monasteries in Greece which follow Orthodox Christianity. Entering those premises requires being in full pants(no shorts), and ladies should cover their shoulders and knees.
- History buffs or museum lovers will like this place, as there are a lot of museums and ancient sites from B.C. era. GREECE has more than 100 archaeological Museums in the world.
- Go for a swim/dip in hot water springs or volcanic mud wrap on volcanic islands like Santorini. There are many hot water springs or natural thermal baths in North-East Greece
- Though shopping and all basic necessities are cheaper in Greece, Hotels, tours, and travel are expensive here. Look out for deals. Before booking, check what does a trip to Greece costs through various research work.
- If you find Santorini or Mykonos out of your budget, then opt to stay nearby islands that are not famous like Santorini but equally beautiful. You will find budget-friendly hotels and other options on those islands. And for Santorini or Mykonos, you can do Island Hopping Tour during the daytime. Try one of the more economical Greek Islands such as Corfu.
- In Greece, shops and other places open to 8:00 P.M. – 9:00 M. People walk and do shopping till late at nights.
- Greek wines are sweet.
- There are many UNESCO-listed historical sites and monuments in Greece. For which you have to hike or walk along uneven paths. Therefore wear your comfortable footwear, and in many places, strollers and wheelchairs are difficult to be taken around.
- Bargaining in the street style of shops is quite common. Use all your negotiation skills.
- Go for a Tavern style of eating with live Greek dance and Greek folk music in the evenings. There are more than 4000 forms of Traditional Greek Dances.
- There are few ATMs on the islands, and not many restaurants accept credit cards, so it is better to carry some cash.
- The contemporary idea of SANTA CLAUS developed from the Greek saint St. Nicholas in Greece.
- Greece receives more than 250 days of sunshine, and hence it is one of the sunniest countries in the world.
- There are more than 2000 islands in Greece, of which only 170 are inhabited.
- The blue color on domes, roofs, doors, and windows is believed to keep evil spirits away, and hence you find prominent blue color decor everywhere, specially on islands.
- Greece has the oldest language in the world that is used today too.
- Greece is not an official name of Greece, but it is officially known as the HELLENIC REPUBLIC.
So, go for a sunshine tour in Greece full of adventures and history. Get Lost in Historical sites or go back to ancient civilizations. Indulge in clear deep blue waters of the Mediterranean or the Aegean Sea or go through tower-top monasteries.
Indulge in the warmth of delicious Greek cuisine or friendly Greek hospitality. Find yourself or get lost into the streets’ maze or hike to volcanoes. Greece is a place for all like thrill-seekers, nature lovers, quiet and historical and archaeological experts, religious ones, and cultural enthusiasts. Read more on Natural Wonders in Greece.
Suggested Reads for Greek islands and mainlands Tour…. Planning an Exciting trip to Greece
- Best Things to Do in Mykonos
- Discover Volcanic Santorini
- Best Beaches in Milos
- Where to get lost in Historical Athens
- Trip to Delphi and Meteora from Athens…
- 7 Days jam-packed Mainlands Greece Itinerary.
To know about Greece more then check their official Tourism site – Visit Greece.
Till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase
I completely agree with your tips. Greece is definitely not just about the islands and Acropolis. They are great, but the highlight of my trip was Meteora. Surprised that more people don’t talk about it!
What a beautiful place. Totally love all the pictures and super post 😉👍 keep Glittering, love TGA by Misha ❤️
I traveled to Greece in 2016 and i absolutely love the country… The islands of Santorini and Mykonos are mind blowing…
Very helpful post wonderful
I really adore Greece, and reading this reminds me of past summers there. The Greeks are very friendly, and you’re right about its incredible sunsets too. I love the authentic Greek style homes and agree that people should stay in one. I much prefer the lesser known islands; they’re less busy, cheaper and less pretentious too! Love Greece!
Yes, lesser known islands are cheaper and equally beautiful.
Thanks for the advise on the Greek Taverns.Never knew there were so many traditional art forms. An article to be pinned.
It would be really nice to get lost in the mazes and take a dip in the hot springs. Even watching the sunset…it is so difficult to get a good picture of a beautiful sunset. Greece is like a dream destination.
We went to Halkidiki last summer and so fell in love with Greece. I’d love to go back, and maybe even venture into the more touristy parts, even though I’m partial to the off-the-beaten path locations. Coming from Washington wine country, I was surprised by the flavors of Greek wine. I’d like to explore that part of the country more and learn about the soils and grapes in that part of the world.
THis is great information! Truthfully I didn’t realize that there was beautiful mountains there either! And hot springs!!! Yea!! & I would definitely stay in a Greek style home! That would be a dream!
I absolutely love Greece! These are some incredibly helpful tips that I’ll definitely use on my next visit. I’ve been to Athens and Crete so far but would love to visit Santorini 🙂
This would have been very useful before Santorini. I missed out on the hot spring dips and mud wraps 🙁
this is just perfect article…….keep sharing such kind of article as these are very useful for anyone…
Its been several years since we visited Greece and now I want to go back and experience it again. differently. I have a very clear idea of how the second trip should be, something old, something new 🙂 Thanks for reminding me of this stunning country.
Very nice tips and things to expect from your trip to Greece 🙂 I agree, there’s so much more to Greece than just history and beaches. Also, with so many islands to choose from, you need to be sure you pick the right ones. Usually people go for the typical 3 ( as did we) and these are the most touristy. However, the next time, I want to visit some of the off beat islands because I am sure they will be extremely gorgeous too! Staying in a Greek-styled home is fabulous advice 🙂 And the sunsets, especially in Santorini, are truly amazing. I agree about the fast ferries being bumpy, but since I don’t get sea sick (touch wood), I preferred a faster journey than a more comfortable one 🙂
Thanks Medha! I too think of less habitated islands for next time as they are more beautiful and very exotic kind of ….
We really want to drive the Greek coast one day. I know we’ll make it happen! As vegetarians, we are happy to see that there lots of food options for us 🙂
Greece is undoubtedly one of the most photogenic places on earth. Whether those gorgeous islands with white and blue houses, stunning islands, funky cafes or delicious food, it offers everything. I absolutely loved the landscape of the this destination. You have given some useful information. I was not aware of the official name of Greece (HELLENIC REPUBLIC). Its a helpful post.
Even before visiting Greece, I was not knowing many facts, but after visiting a place you know many practical tips and facts.
I think I would be one of those happy girl to visit Greece and explore the city and local community. I want to experience the Greek foods and how to live the Greek-ways. Oh the scenery are breathtaking!
Greece is extremely beautiful and is my much awaited holiday destination. Your post is very informative and I’m glad I’m reading it before planing my trip. I would so love to stay in a Greek style home, watch incredible sunsets and get lost in those mazy streets. The local shopping street looks so colourful. Thanks for sharing amazing photographs.
Thanks Shaily for reading my post in detail!
I have bookmarked your post since I am planning a trip to Greece. I want to soak into the culture of this country. And do a little bit of all you mentioned – island hopping, history, culture, sunset, food etc. But I am including only Athens and Santorini in my plan. Do you think I can get a bit of all these between these two places?
If you are going to Santorini do a day trip to nearby islands and it would be your islands trip over all and when in Athens, you can do 1 or 2 days in Athens and then for 2 days go to nearby places of Athens like delphi and Meteora for hilly countrysides by road. In Athens you can go for local cuisine tour or Greek Cultural dances at many old styled Taverns(restaurants)
We would love to go to Greece and explore the islands by bike. It seems like it would be so relaxing and romantic. I didn’t know that all the wines were sweet but that works for us. We are Moscato people and all that that entails.
We really want to go to Greece. These tips are awesome and inspire us even more. We understand that the tourism industry is very expensive to baluster its economy. However, We understand that visiting a place like Greece with its deep history is worth spending a little more than usual.
Thanks for sharing. Keep travel blogging. Adventure is better shared with friends!
Greece is one of the countries I have never visited before but would love to visit to learn more about the culture and history but also to do some island hopping.
The fact that the sunsets are beautiful and the food is delicious is just another added bonus!
Some very interesting facts you have shared here. Greece is one of my must visit travel destinations, there is so much history and natural beauty to explore. I would love to explore all of these gorgeous islands, but I would really needs weeks to completely cover it like I wish to I think.
These are some really useful tips for people heading to Greece for the first time. Given the variety that there is, one needs to plan carefully as it is quite a distance between the islands and the mainland. I am quite torn for there is Athens that I want to see and then the islands where I want to dive. Gosh! How do I start.
You can divide half of your tour to islands and other half for mainlands.. that’s what I did
Greece has been on my list for a while, and your post is making me want to shuffle it to the front! I really enjoyed reading all of your little facts and tidbits. Thanks for sharing!
Yes you should shuffle it to first as it would really captivate your mind.
Greece has always been a source of great fascination. Whether it is Greek mythology or the common roots with shared with Indian culture and language, Greece is special. It is the stuff of dreams. Though islands like Santorini with their picture postcard beauty rule the Instagram world, there is so much more to the country.
Wow. Greece is beautiful. For once i am glad to know that Greece is kind to vegetarians. I love the white and blue colors in the backdrop of all the houses, never knew it was to keep evil spirits away. Thanks for an interesting guide to Greece
Amazing post! I went to Greece last year but Ive only seen Santorini and I know there is so much more to explore in this wonderful country! We used to learn at school about greek history and how important there were in the past. I love those stunning views, beautiful sunsets and delicious food! I cant wait to be back !
Wow, gr8 you loved Greece and very true in our schools we too used to study Greek history and it always made me curious to discover this place.
That’s correct, our country official name is Hellenic Republic but we call it Hellas ! It is always cute to read what other people say / believe for my country and I found most of your points accurate! Thanks for sharing!
Great information and photos! Your post is definitely a good preview of a trip to Greece! Greece is a place that I have always wanted to go and your post just increased my desire to hop on a plane there!
Ah beautiful Greece, I can really feel the magic of this amazing country in your photos.
I remember I was most fascinated by Oia, Santorini even though it is a very touristical place. But this spot has really something absolutely unique, hard to describe. I also agree, what is so great about Greece is that you have so many different opportunities like beach vacation, hiking, city hopping and of course countless ancient places to see. It is truly something for everyone.
I believe, All architects should start their foreign journey with Greece. Here the civilization started to gain momentum. The first proper buildings were built here and some of those are still there. It is such a lovely place and you have marked all important dos-n-donts perfectly. Thank you so much.
Absolutely love Greece. Especially the striking blue against the beautiful background. My favourite is Mykonos. Loved the blog post. Its a perfect travel guide.
Thanks for loving my blog and really you would love blue colors in Greece. It is very prominent there.
Ok, now I want to go to Greece. I always knew it was beautiful, but I didn’t realise just how much it had to offer. I tend to leave things to the last minute, so it’s helpful to know to book ahead. Also, my wife gets seasick so having that knowledge about the different ferries is really helpful.
I’ve yet to go to Greece so this post is so useful! I’ve always dreamed of going because of the beautiful islands and incredible history
Absolutely fantastic advise. We are thinking of doing Greece and Cyprus in the summer next year but am worried we might be too hot. My daughter doens’t do so great in the heat. Guess we’ll just have o avoid the cities and just stick ot the islands so we are close to the water.
I love history so Greece it´s perfect to me. I´ve been there just once, in Athens and Mykonos. I see that i need to come back and do some other things…
Greece has always been one of the countries that I want to visit since I worked as an SEO agent for Travel Republic. It’s gorgeous there! Love to taste their wines and cheeses. 🙂
Even Olives too….
I was really surprised to discover that Greece is so mountainous. I always think simply of beaches. I, heading back to Greece next month for the first time in over twenty years so looking forward to getting some beautiful snaps like these
Greece even has ski resort too… lovely mountains in Greece apart from beaches
These are some great tips. I had no idea Santa clause originated in Greece. How interesting! Greece has so much more to offer than Santorini. I am hoping to make a trip this summer so this is reallt useful. Thanks
Yes there are many more beautiful places other than Santorini in Greece. Even before going to Greece, I was also not knowing about Santa Claus fact. See how traveling improves our knowledge.
These pictures are beautiful. Greece is definitely a place on our bucket list. Thanks for the guide
Greece is 1 of my favorite countries in Europe, where you can go for holiday! My favorite Greek island is Crete 🙂
Greece looks so amazing and is top of my travel destination list, has been for over a decade! I love that it really it what it seems there- not like some places where you only see some nice parts in photos! And thank you for including information for vegetarians like me! We have a large greek population in my area so my friends have taught me already some recipes and dances so I feel ready to go and haggle in the market!
I never knew that about the blue roofs. Wow! I have never had Greek wine. Time to go.
Greece is such a beautiful country! I have only visited Athens but would love to do some island. Hopefully one day and off season because like you said it’s expensive in high season 🙁
Lovely post! It mirrors why I love Greece so much. One of my favourite countries, for its culture, scenery, food, wine, music, and weather.
Thanks Doreen for liking the post. Even i too Loved Greece for these valid reasons
The Greek island are paradise on Earth. I have just come back from them and reading your post just to me back in time. My favourite is Mykonos. White washed and beautiful. Great post with details. Thanks for sharing with us. The visuals are great as well
Yes Mykonos is interesting and should be on must visit. Even I liked the nearby island Syros, much more beautiful.
Oh i love greece so much and this is just the perfect guide for visitng this beautiful country. I just know a few islands but i would love to explore more. Your tip of renting a car is perfect!