Spending Christmas in Austria can be a magical experience filled with festive traditions, beautiful scenery, and charming Christmas markets. Here’s a detailed itinerary to make the most of your Austria Christmas Tour:
Christmas In Austria Itinerary – Austria In Winter
Planning a tour during Christmas in Austria offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the country’s enchanting festive traditions, from exploring magical Christmas markets adorned with lights to attending classical concerts in historic venues, creating a memorable holiday experience filled with cultural richness and seasonal charm.
Day Wise Itinerary – Austria At Christmas
Day 1: Arrival in Vienna
- Arrive in Vienna, the capital city of Austria.
- Check into your hotel in Vienna, such as the Hotel Sacher or the Hotel Imperial Vienna.
- In the evening, stroll through Vienna’s beautifully decorated streets. Visit the famous Vienna Christmas Market at Rathausplatz (City Hall Square).
- Enjoy a traditional Austrian dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 2: Explore Vienna
- Begin your day with a visit to Schönbrunn Palace. The Christmas market here is enchanting; you can explore the palace grounds.
- Visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral and explore the surrounding area. The Christmas market in front of the cathedral is a must-visit.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the historic center of Vienna, known as the Innere Stadt.
- Attend a classical music concert or a festive performance in the evening.
Day 3: Day Trip to Salzburg
- Take a train to Salzburg, Mozart’s birthplace, known for its charming old town. The train journey from Vienna to Salzburg takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours, covering a distance of around 300 kilometers.
- Visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress and enjoy panoramic views of the city.
- Explore the Christmas markets in Salzburg, such as the one at Residenzplatz.
- Wander through the Getreidegasse, a famous shopping street with decorated storefronts.
- Return to Vienna in the evening.
Day 4: Christmas Eve in Vienna
- Attend a Christmas Eve Mass at one of Vienna’s historic churches, St. Peter’s Church or Karlskirche.
- Enjoy a festive Christmas Eve dinner at a traditional Austrian restaurant. Many places offer special holiday menus.
- Take an evening stroll through the beautifully illuminated streets of Vienna.
Day 5: Christmas Day
- Have a leisurely morning with a festive brunch.
- Spend the day at the Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace or visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum for its remarkable art collections.
- Take a boat ride on the Danube River, enjoying the winter scenery.
- In the evening, indulge in a special Christmas dinner at one of Vienna’s top restaurants.
Day 6: Day Trip to Hallstatt
- Take a day trip to the picturesque village of Hallstatt, known for its stunning lakeside setting. The train journey from Vienna to Hallstatt takes approximately 3 to 3.5 hours, covering a distance of around 300 kilometers.
- Explore the charming streets, visit the Hallstatt Salt Mine, and take a boat tour of Lake Hallstatt.
- Return to Vienna in the evening.
Day 7: Departure
- Depending on your departure time, take a final stroll through Vienna or visit any last-minute sights or markets.
- Depart from Vienna, carrying beautiful memories of a magical Christmas in Austria.
Austria’s winter landscapes, historic sites, and festive atmosphere make it a fantastic destination for a Christmas holiday.
Festive events – Christmas In Austria Itinerary
Austria is known for its festive Christmas events; incorporating these into your itinerary will add extra charm to your holiday experience. Here are some festive events to consider during your Christmas itinerary in Austria:
1. Vienna Christmas Markets:
- Rathausplatz Christmas Market in front of City Hall is a must-visit. Enjoy the ice rink, festive decorations, and numerous stalls selling crafts and seasonal treats.
- Visit the Schönbrunn Palace Christmas Market for a royal holiday experience.
2. Christmas Concerts:
- Attend a classical music concert in Vienna. Many venues host special Christmas performances, offering a delightful mix of classical and festive music.
3. Salzburg Christmas Market:
- Experience the magic of the Salzburg Christmas Market, set against the backdrop of the Hohensalzburg Fortress. The market features traditional crafts, local delicacies, and a festive atmosphere.
4. Silent Night Chapel in Oberndorf:
- Take a day trip to Oberndorf, the birthplace of the famous Christmas carol “Silent Night.” Visit the Silent Night Chapel and the Silent Night Museum.
5. Christmas Eve Mass:
- Attend a Christmas Eve Mass in one of Austria’s historic churches. St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna and Salzburg Cathedral offer particularly atmospheric services.
6. Advent Concerts:
- Look for local Advent concerts in churches or concert halls. These events often feature choirs, orchestras, and soloists performing traditional Christmas music.
7. Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace:
- Spend time at the Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace in Vienna. Enjoy the festive ambiance, browse through artisan stalls, and savor seasonal treats.
8. Christkindlmarkt in Innsbruck:
- Visit the Christkindlmarkt in Innsbruck, surrounded by the Alps. The market at the Old Town features beautifully decorated stalls and a unique Christmas atmosphere.
9. Advent Boat Ride in Salzburg:
- Take an Advent boat ride on the Salzach River in Salzburg. Enjoy the views of the city’s landmarks illuminated for the season.
10. Vienna Ice World:
- Experience the Vienna Ice World (Wiener Eistraum) before City Hall. This large ice rink is surrounded by enchanting light displays, making it a perfect spot for winter fun.
11. Christmas Workshops and Crafts:
- Participate in Christmas workshops or crafts fairs to create your holiday souvenirs. Many markets offer hands-on activities for visitors.
12. Hallstatt’s Lakeside Christmas Market:
- If you’re taking a day trip to Hallstatt, explore the Lakeside Christmas Market for a unique setting with lake views and charming stalls.
These festive events will add a special touch to your Christmas in Austria, creating lasting memories of the country’s rich holiday traditions.
Festive tours – Austria Christmas Tour Itinerary – Austria For Christmas
Including tours in your Austria Christmas tour itinerary is great as they provide unique experiences and insights into the country’s holiday traditions.
Here’s a list of festive tours to consider during your Christmas trip to Austria:
- Christmas Market Walking Tour in Vienna: Join a guided walking tour that takes you through Vienna’s most iconic Christmas markets, providing historical insights and highlighting the best stalls for local crafts and festive treats.
- Vienna Horse-Drawn Carriage Ride: Enjoy the charm of Vienna’s historic center on a horse-drawn carriage ride, especially adorned for Christmas. This tour offers a romantic and festive perspective of the city.
- Sound of Music Christmas Tour in Salzburg: Explore the iconic locations from the beloved movie “The Sound of Music” in Salzburg, enhanced with a Christmas theme. Visit the filming locations and enjoy the festive atmosphere.
- Silent Night Chapel Tour in Oberndorf: Take a tour to Oberndorf to visit the Silent Night Chapel and Museum, where you can learn about the origins of the famous Christmas carol “Silent Night.”
- Advent Boat Ride in Salzburg: Embark on an Advent boat ride on the Salzach River in Salzburg, providing unique views of the city’s landmarks and festive decorations along the riverbanks.
- Christmas Concerts in Vienna: Book tickets for a special Christmas concert in Vienna featuring classical music and festive tunes. Many venues, such as the Vienna State Opera, host holiday-themed performances.
- Belvedere Palace Christmas Village Tour: Take a guided tour of the Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace in Vienna.
- Hallstatt Day Trip with Christmas Market Visit: Join a day trip to Hallstatt and explore the Lakeside Christmas Market.
- Vienna Culinary Christmas Tour: Experience the culinary delights of Vienna during Christmas by joining a food tour. Sample traditional festive dishes and seasonal treats from various stalls.
- Advent Markets in Graz Tour: If your itinerary includes Graz, consider a guided tour of its Advent markets. Learn about the city’s history while indulging in the festive atmosphere.
- Vienna Ice World Experience: Book a tour with admission to the Vienna Ice World (Wiener Eistraum) at Rathausplatz. Enjoy ice skating and explore the surrounding festive activities.
Make sure to check the availability and schedule of these tours based on your travel dates, and consider booking in advance to secure your spots, especially during the busy holiday season.
The picturesque winter landscapes, combined with the warmth of Austrian hospitality and the joyous atmosphere of Christmas, make it an ideal time to witness the country’s magical transformation into a winter wonderland.
I hope you loved reading about unique things to do during Christmas In Austria and will soon plan your Austria Christmas tour. So enjoy magical Austria in winter and celebrate Christmas in Austria.
Image Courtesy – CanvaPro
Follow my blog at
All content belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com and use of content/photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The blog’s content is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity, or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products, so this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
There can be slight differences in distances, locations, or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, which means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.