St Augustine is America’s oldest city and has many historical, cultural, and natural tourist attractions. This first city of the USA has many unique, quirky, and unknown facts, so let’s read St Augustine facts or facts about St Augustine Florida.
St Augustine Facts (Facts About St Augustine Florida)
- Pedro Menéndez de Avilés founded St Augustine in 1565.
- St. Augustine is a city on the northeast coast of Florida.
- St. Augustine has been attacked numerous times.
- St. Augustine’s fort served as a prison for captured Native Americans.
- Henry Flagler Made it into a Modern Tourist Destination.
- St. Augustine has the Oldest Wax Museum in the USA.
- It’s the Oldest Continuously-Inhabited Settlement of European and African-American origin in the United States.
- The oldest continuously occupied city in the U.S. was named after Christian theologian and philosopher Saint Augustine, Bishop of Hippo.
- It has the Narrowest Street in the United States.
- It has World’s Oldest Ripley’s, Believe It or Not!
- The St Augustine Light Tower is rumored to be haunted.
- In modern times, St. Augustine has only been directly hit by one hurricane.
- Each year at Christmas time, St. Augustine hosts a Night of Lights, making it one of the best holiday light displays in the country, with almost 2 million lights. You can also book the Night of Lights trolley tour in advance, as St Augustine is very crowded at this time.
- St. Augustine is the oldest port in the continental United States.
- The Cathedral Basilica, located downtown on Cathedral Place, is home to the first Catholic congregation in North America.
- St. Augustine is home to the Fountain of Youth.
- St. Augustine is home to incredible dolphins jumping out on the St. Augustine beaches.
- The science-fiction monster movie classic The Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed here in St. Augustine.
- St. Augustine is brimming with nearly 500 years of history.
- St. George Street in historic St Augustine is the oldest Street in America.
- You can hear Cannon Firings still happening at the Castillo de San Marcos.
- The Native American Tribe was part of the Trail of Tears.
I hope you loved this post on facts about St Augustine Florida or facts on St Augustine (St Augustine facts).
What You Need – St Augustine Travel Guide
- Book Hotels in Old Historic St Augustine downtown.
- Check Best Restaurants in St Augustine, Florida.
- Book Guided tours in St Augustine, Florida.
- Book rent a car in St Augustine, Florida.
More reads on USA Travel Guide
- EAST COAST (US) ROAD TRIP ITINERARY
- Stunning California Road Trip Itinerary 21 – 25 days
- Best Things to do in Chicago City Tour – Chicago Travel Guide
- Things to do in New York City
Image Credits – CanvaPro
All content and photos belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com and use of content/photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The blog’s content is solely my views of a place or a thing. This does not offend any class, religion, ethnicity, or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products, so this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
We are the independent owner of this site, and the views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations, or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, which means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.