Greece is a mountain Peninsula stretched across the eastern Mediterranean Sea and is the longest coastline of Europe. GREECE is among the top 20 tourist destinations of the world and millions of tourists travel every year to Greece. Tourism in Greece can be classified into 4 parts – Beaches, Mountains/Countrysides, Ancient Civilization/History, and Unique villages with their special white houses. This article discusses Interesting Things to Know for Planning an Exciting trip to Greece.
Interesting Things to Know for Planning an Exciting trip to Greece
- Greece is the most desirable and favorable holiday destination, so avoid a last-minute booking. Many destinations, ferries, or airlines are sold out before; therefore, plan and Book in advance before heading to Greece.
- When is the best time to visit Greece? Spring to Summer is the best time. During summer, Greece is very expensive for tourists. , so you can plan your trip in shoulder seasons like spring and Autumn. There are many exciting, fun things to experience during Christmas in Greece.
- Greece is not only Islands Tour, but it has beautiful Mountains, hills, and countryside during the Mainland visit. Plan for Mainland tours, too, through rolling hills and Mediterranean countryside. You can also do 7 days in Greece with some offbeat destinations.
- There are many beautiful islands in Greece. Plan for a few and don’t try to see all. Avoid the rush to all places as relaxing on a couple of islands is highly recommended for enjoying the peace and beautiful nature.
- On islands, Rent a Car or Bike Riding is recommended as there are fewer public transport facilities. Take your International License and drive yourself on islands. Even you can take your car on cruise/ferry.
- While booking for Ferry to different islands, check the super-fast ones or the cruise ones. Superfast ones are faster to reach, but the ride is bumpy, and you can feel seasick. But cruises are very comfortable, and the food is available onboard. Also, through internal flights or local airlines, you can visit or reach the islands. These regional airlines are very strict in baggage allowance. Check baggage allowance before booking them.
- Book for a stay in Greek styled Home. Many authentic and Greek-style homes are converted into boutique hotels. Stay in this to feel the Greek style of living.
- Vegetarians/ Vegan would love Greece, as there are great varieties of authentic Greek vegetarian dishes like Stuffed Capsicum/Tomato with Mediterranean flavored Rice, Spinach Risotto, Spinach Pie, Fava Beans, etc. Greece has many restaurants – Tavern-styled (wooden interiors ) which offer a large variety of vegetarian cuisine. My favorite was roasted eggplant with tomato and feta. Also, you will find a lot of types of seafood. Travel to Greece for famous Greek foods.
- Greek people are amiable and happy. They all understand English and can speak it also. Language is not a big problem.
- Greece is hot in summer, so carry a hat, sunscreens, umbrellas, and light cotton fabrics.
- Sunsets / Sunrise in Greece is wonderful. Don’t miss it. Be prepared with your cameras and their manual settings.
- Shopping in Greece is not expensive. Go for authentic Greek-styled leather sandals, cotton capes, volcanic stone jewelry, Olives, Handmade Olive soaps, Fashionable clothes, bags, Bohemian jewelry.
- Get Lost into mazed streets – You will get fun getting lost in narrow streets of islands which are surrounded by white houses and blue doors. They are like a maze. If you don’t carry a map or GPS, you can be a little lost.
- There are many cathedrals and monasteries in Greece which follow Orthodox Christianity. Entering those premises requires being in full pants(no shorts), and ladies should cover their shoulders and knees.
- History buffs or museum lovers will like this place, as there are a lot of museums and ancient sites from B.C. era. GREECE has more than 100 archaeological Museums in the world.
- Go for a swim/dip in hot water springs or volcanic mud wrap on volcanic islands like Santorini. There are many hot water springs or natural thermal baths in North-East Greece
- Though shopping and all basic necessities are cheaper in Greece, Hotels, tours, and travel are expensive here. Look out for deals. Before booking, check what does a trip to Greece costs through various research work.
- If you find Santorini or Mykonos out of your budget, then opt to stay nearby islands that are not famous like Santorini but equally beautiful. You will find budget-friendly hotels and other options on those islands. And for Santorini or Mykonos, you can do Island Hopping Tour during the daytime. Try one of the more economical Greek Islands such as Corfu.
- In Greece, shops and other places open to 8:00 P.M. – 9:00 M. People walk and do shopping till late at nights.
- Greek wines are sweet.
- There are many UNESCO-listed historical sites and monuments in Greece. For which you have to hike or walk along uneven paths. Therefore wear your comfortable footwear, and in many places, strollers and wheelchairs are difficult to be taken around.
- Bargaining in the street style of shops is quite common. Use all your negotiation skills.
- Go for a Tavern style of eating with live Greek dance and Greek folk music in the evenings. There are more than 4000 forms of Traditional Greek Dances.
- There are few ATMs on the islands, and not many restaurants accept credit cards, so it is better to carry some cash.
- The contemporary idea of SANTA CLAUS developed from the Greek saint St. Nicholas in Greece.
- Greece receives more than 250 days of sunshine, and hence it is one of the sunniest countries in the world.
- There are more than 2000 islands in Greece, of which only 170 are inhabited.
- The blue color on domes, roofs, doors, and windows is believed to keep evil spirits away, and hence you find prominent blue color decor everywhere, specially on islands.
- Greece has the oldest language in the world that is used today too.
- Greece is not an official name of Greece, but it is officially known as the HELLENIC REPUBLIC.
So, go for a sunshine tour in Greece full of adventures and history. Get Lost in Historical sites or go back to ancient civilizations. Indulge in clear deep blue waters of the Mediterranean or the Aegean Sea or go through tower-top monasteries.
Indulge in the warmth of delicious Greek cuisine or friendly Greek hospitality. Find yourself or get lost into the streets’ maze or hike to volcanoes. Greece is a place for all like thrill-seekers, nature lovers, quiet and historical and archaeological experts, religious ones, and cultural enthusiasts. Read more on Natural Wonders in Greece.
Suggested Reads for Greek islands and mainlands Tour…. Planning an Exciting trip to Greece
- Best Things to Do in Mykonos
- Discover Volcanic Santorini
- Best Beaches in Milos
- Where to get lost in Historical Athens
- Trip to Delphi and Meteora from Athens…
- 7 Days jam-packed Mainlands Greece Itinerary.
To know about Greece more then check their official Tourism site – Visit Greece.
Till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase
Greece is beautiful! And you’re right so many islands to choose from! I’ve travelled around last summer and my highlights were Milos island and Xerokampos, an untouched piece of paradise in Crete. Have you heard?
Not much, but yes I will plan it for next time
Feel free to check my posts and get inspired for a next trip to Greece 🙂 take care!
That’s a lot of useful information in planning a trip to Greece. I don’t think I realized that some of the ferries could sell out so booking is recommended. Other than Athens and the islands, you don’t hear much about the beautiful mountains. I didn’t know that it has the largest coastline in Europe. But most of all I love those Greek white houses and wandering through the streets. What a wonderful experience!
Greece has lot many things to do other than its beautiful islands.