Let’s plan for Lake Como in one day – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination. A perfect day trip from Milan so read some beautiful things to do in Lake Como and plan Lake Como Itinerary.
Lake Como is strategically located surrounded by stunning French and Swiss Alps in northern Italy. This lake originated from the glacier and has an upside-down Y shape, surrounded by wooded hills, snow-clad Alps, and quaint Italian towns, considered the deepest lake in Europe.
- Visiting Venice then read this Venice Travel Guide – Perfect Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day Itinerary
Lake Como is not only the most popular tourist destination in Italy, but it attracts A-lister celebrities, Hollywood personalities, and aristocrats from all over the world. Serving as one of the world’s most popular holiday destinations, this lake can turn an ordinary man into an artist/poet.
Famous poet P.B. Shelly also fell in love with this lake and praised Lake Como in its poetry – “This Lake exceeds anything I ever beheld in beauty.” So let’s go for Lake Como – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination.
Because of the stunning scenic landscape, fresh mountain air, and spectacular beauty of nature, Lake Como has residences/historical villas of many celebrities like George Clooney, Sylvester Stallone, and Richard Branson, Madonna, etc. During your holidays, who know, you may end up in brushing shoulders with famous personalities, who owns lakeside villas. Read why Lake Como should be included in Italian bucket list travel itinerary.
Lake Como Boat Tour – Lake Como in One Day
The famous towns which are worth visiting and are located on the shores of Lake Como are –
BELLAGIO – Lake Como in one day
Bellagio is a beautiful little photogenic town located at the intersection of 3 branches of a Y-shaped lake. It is known for historic and charming promenades, gardens, Villa Serbelloni, and Villa Metsi. Can be reached by ferry from the nearby town or on road routes. It is also known as the “Pearl of the Lake.”
COMO – Things to do in Lake Como Italy
Located on the southern end of the Lake, it is the main city of all towns on the shore of Lake Como. We made Lake Como our base and stayed here in the lakeside hotel. Lake Como city is famous from ancient times for its 14th-century Duomo, built according to Gothic & Renaissance styles. This city has a great shopping atmosphere with the availability of all luxury brands as it is very close to Milan(which hosts top International fashion houses). Also, it is the home of the Italian Silk Manufacturing hub.
Lying on the foothills of the Alps, Menaggio has many lively, beautiful resorts. Popular with travel enthusiasts for walking along the lake, hiking the Alps, windsurfing, and rock climbing. This town has Villa del Balbbanello in the village Lenno, where Star Wars Episode Two – Attack of Clones was shot. Also known as Picture Postcard city of Lake Como.
Now you know Menaggio is a must in Lake Como in one day itinerary.
VARENNA – Lake Como Boat tour
A tiny town on Lake Como’s eastern shore is a very peaceful, relaxed, and beautiful place. There is a medieval castle with lush green gardens in this town. Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero are worth visiting villas in this town.
TREMEZZO – Lake Como in One day
The Tiny town just across Bellagio is known for its famous attraction Villa Carlotta with its spectacular waterfront botanical garden.
I visited all these towns by Hop-On and Hop-Off ferry instead of car or bus. As I wanted to enjoy my all-time on waters with spectacular views of lakeside luxurious palatial villas, scenic mountains, greenery, and quaint towns. It was chilly somewhat because everything was covered with snow. Mostly Lake Como is preferred in summers, but we did our Lake Como tour in the month of February which is cold and freezing.
This town is recommended majorly for nature lovers. Lake Como is basically for those who love the countryside, cobbled streets quaint towns, view of colorful houses on the slopes of the Alps, peaceful, relaxed, and laid-back lifestyle. That is why Lake Como is known as one of the most relaxed destinations in the world. Inhale the pure and fresh mountain air with the deep fragrances of cypress, olives, oranges, and pine trees.
Where to stay in Lake Como Italy
How to reach Lake Como – Italy’s Most Popular Tourist Destination
- Nearest International Airport to Lake Como– MILAN (MILANO).
- From Milan, you can reach here in several ways like rail/trains, buses, car or bikes. If you are staying in Milan, then read about Best of Milan – Go for a Milan sightseeing tours.
- You can also stay in Milan and visit Lake Como on a full-day trip tour.
- Trentalia , Eu-rail or Intercity trains runs from Milan to Lake Como. Trains take 1.5 hours to reach Lake Como from Milan and are around 6 Euro per person. The distance from Milan to Lake Como is approximately 40 km. Beware, there are 3 stations in Lake Como – Como Nord Lago, Como San Giovanni, and Como Nord Borghi. Get down at the station which is closer to your stay.
- Rent a car is available at Milan airport to reach here. You can also do day trip to lake Como from Milan. If you have 24 hours to spend in Milan then read this.
Commuting in Lake Como and its surrounding towns | Day trips from Lake Como, Italy
If you love Alpine lakes, go for Lake Maggiore, Lago di Tovel, Trentino from here. Common city Passes can be used on public ferries and buses. A day pass is valid for a whole day with multiple numbers of visits. These ferries are the best option to do inter-town tours. Also, public buses are another option to reach one town to another. Go sailing on Lake Garda which is nearby Lake Como.
Best tips for Lake Como in One day
- When going to Lake Como from any city nearby, do it in the daytime as the route is very scenic, and I recommend that you don’t miss that panoramic view either from a train or by car/bus. As Lake Como is very close to the Switzerland border, you can plan a combo Switzerland trip with this. Read more about Holidays to Switzerland.
- Summers are more lively and beautiful but very expensive too. So if you want to save some cost, go for the off-season.
- Ferry rides are a must to visit little towns on the shore of Lake Como
- Stay in a lakeside hotel with a lake-facing room or take a room with a view of lakes and mountains.
- Specialized Villa tours are available, which can be checked on their personal website for timings and other vital information.
- Ideal for Destination weddings or other Events.
- Know more about what to pack for Italy – a complete Italy Packing List.
- Before planning for an Italy trip, read 101 important tips for Italy.
- If you going to Florence during your Italian vacations then read this.
More reads on the Italy Tour guide
- Perfect Day Trip To Venice – Venice in one day Itinerary
- Quick Florence Tour – Cradle of renaissance
So, till then KEEP travelling……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result into legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products, so this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
We are independently owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.