Amazing Things To Do in Lviv, Ukraine
Lviv – a multi-cultural city of western Ukraine was one of the major city situated on two trade routes in medieval Europe. Lviv influenced many powers from time to time from Hungarian rule to Austrian rule to Tsar’s Russia to Polish rule to USSR rule to Nazi Germany, again to USSR and now a part of independent Ukraine. Lviv is named after king’s son and in Ukranian it means Lion. In latin Lviv is also known as Leopolis. This beautiful cultural city of Lviv, lies on foothills of Carpathian mountains is located in western Ukraine at a distance of 70km from Poland has charming city squares, surrounded by bright colored Baroque styled buildings, cobblestoned streets, 60 museums, 100 cathedrals/churches and numerous unique restaurants/bars. Let’s check about Amazing Things to Do in Lviv, Ukraine in this article with Free Walking tours.
Lviv reflects multicultural as it has borrowed many diverse cultures from its invaders. The top Lviv attractions are situated in this compact historical city center which you can do by Free Walking Tours. Lviv is completely a Walking city where you get into narrow streets surrounded by bright houses, rustic bars, chocolate – coffee manufacturing units, and many more.
Let’s read about – Amazing Things To Do in Lviv, Ukraine – Free Walking Tours in Lviv
- RYONK SQUARE, TOWER – It is central and most popular square of Lviv, Ukraine. This rectangular square witnessed busy markets, public celebrations, and It is the heart of Lviv and is surrounded by more than 50 unique architectural wonders from 16 to 20 centuries. All houses/building are unique in their own way and have significant historical stories associated with them on this square.
LVIV OPERA HOUSE – The architectural gem of Lviv, is compared to Paris and Vienna Opera houses. This lavish European styled majestic building has marvelous front façade and was built in Austro-Hungarian Empire rule. This splendid piece of art and eternity is built on Poltava river, flowing through Lviv’s center under the ground in the sewer. Therefore its foundation is very unique and is the only theatre built on the river in the world. 3 winged bronze statues adorn this building façade which is – Genius of Drama & Comedy, Genius of Music, and Glory with Palm branch in hands.
- VIRMENSKA STREET – This narrow cobblestoned street surrounded by beautiful and colorful houses were used to be residences of Armenian community who migrated here in 16th to 19th Strolling around this street is interesting as you will find many unique buildings or houses. Also, there are many rustic and unique bars, cafes and restaurants on this street.
- POTOCKI PALACE – Designed by French architect, this is the perfect example of classicism architecture in Lviv. Built in 19th century by Count Potocki, it has bright interiors with colored marble work, stained glass, colored glidings, moldings, and mirrors.
- LVIV TOWN HALL – This is the highest tower in Lviv with 65m(213ft) in height. This UNESCO listed World Heritage monument is dating back to the 4th Earlier two Town Halls were destroyed by fire and the third one was destroyed by the fierce storm. This 4th one which is the present reconstructed building is the residence of City Council of Lviv. Tourists are allowed to climb 400 steps of Town Hall to get the glimpse of panoramic views of Lviv city.
- LVIV ARSENAL – It is the oldest Arsenal building in Lviv and now houses the unique weapon museum which has a collection of ancient weapons from more than 30 countries. This building dates back to the 16th As Lviv was located at the strategic location of Intersection of trade routes of East & West, medieval Lviv was constantly invaded. So it was necessary to have a reliable defense. On its entrance, it has been inscribed “The happy town is the one which in peacetime can see forsee future danger.” Check opening times before visiting the museum.
- HIGH CASTLE PARK – This castle ruins on top of the hill is must do activity in Lviv. Don’t expect the ancient ruins of the castle but it is recommended for getting a view of the whole city from the top of the hill at about 1354 height. This hike goes through bushes and tall trees. This location lies at North-East of Lviv and people generally go for Sunrise & Sunset view of Lviv city.
- THE DOMINICAN CHURCH – This majestic Late-Baroque styled architectural beauty is adorned with splendid sculptures. It is now a Greek-catholic church and was founded in the 13th It was earlier a wooden church and was burnt in 1340. After that, it was rebuilt and destroyed several times by fire. In 1749, again it was rebuilt into Late Baroque styled and still standing from that date to present day.
- BERNARDINE CHURCH – This interesting architecture which combines the Dutch & Italian style of architecture is located in Lviv’s Old Town towards the south of Market square.
- LVIV CHOCOLATE MANUFACTURING UNIT – LVIV CHOCOLATES – Since medieval times, Lviv is famous for its art of making lovely confectionary. During the 19th century, Europe used to export handmade specialized chocolates, truffles, and sweets from Lviv. Until the present date, they are creating magical recipes by using those traditional methods in chocolate making. You can for a chocolate making a tour in Lviv by visiting a Chocolate factory. This place is made up of glass walls, through which you can peep in to see how they create choco chunks into various chocolates bars or truffles. There is a shop on the first floor where you can select between 50 varieties of chocolates and 19 varieties of truffles and buy them. On the top floor, there is choco bar where you can eat and have a view of Lviv city. It is located in heart of the Historic center of Lviv.
- YARD OF LOST TOYS – A very unusual thing to do in Lviv. This urban backyard or courtyard is converted into an open-air museum of junked or forgotten toys. Don’t know the story behind this but is very strange.
- RIDE THROUGH COLORFUL OLD TRAMS IN LVIV – Take a charming ride through trams of Lviv with locals and pass along the historic centers, perfumed coffee houses, rattling through narrow cobblestoned streets. The cost of the ride is 4 UAH for an adult. The new ones must be more efficient but to ride in old and vintage styled trams have its own charm.
- Take a sip of your favorite berry drink at vibrant Ryonk Square or roam around flower markets of Lviv.
Above are the most Amazing Things to do in Lviv, Ukraine but there are many more as Lviv is the historic and cultural place. Go for Lviv’s sightseeing attraction by Walking Tours.
USEFUL TIPS FOR – AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN LVIV, UKRAINE | LVIV WALKING TOUR
- The local currency of Lviv is Ukranian Hryvnia (UAH) which can be conveniently exchanged at convenience stores, hotel counters and at market centers.
- People in Lviv speak many languages like Polish, Ukranian, Russian and Austrian as they have influence from past and nearby bordering countries. But they understand English a little and it is better to always have your Google translator ready and handy.
- Stay near the Historic center, Opera house or Old town as the whole city is walkable. I stayed at Hotel Atlas Deluxe, a few minutes away from Opera house. There are numerous hotels and hostels in Lviv.
- As a food lover, you would love Lviv as it has numerous options with different cuisines from many parts of the world. Also, there are uniquely themed bars and cafes. Every café has its own unique story and history. Read more for where to eat in Lviv.
- Lviv is a city of Festivals. Check calendar if you would love to attend the unique festival of Lviv. They celebrate around 50 festivals a year.
- Lviv tour is incomplete without having a sip of coffee at Lviv’s famous cafes. Lviv is famous for coffee as during the 18th century, Austrians first introduced coffee here with the finest cafes in Lviv. Lviv the Coffee Capital organizes Sip a coffee festival every year where you can taste many varieties of coffee preparations. This black drink is the pride of Lviv and is a historical drink of Lviv which is still preserved. Many coffee bars have special music, dance, poetry nights and concerts to make your evenings mystical ones.
- Lviv can be reached through Kiev by road or rail. Kiev is having an International airport in Ukraine.
- There are many castles nearby Lviv for which you can take a separate day trip to visit them.
- Lviv lies on foothills of Carpathian mountains and there go for mountain hikes or tours on a separate day trip or camping in the Carpathians through Lviv.
- All amazing Things to do in Lviv, Ukraine can be done by walking tours. No need for any kind of public or private transport.
Read here for Odessa City Tour.
Read here for Kiev city Tour details by clicking this
Very shortly, I will be publishing Lviv Culinary tours Odessa City tour in detail with a full guide of art, culture, Gastronomy tours in Ukraine.
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase