What to do in Charleston in winter? This article is about things to do in Charleston in winter with festive events and festive tours to take:
Charleston In Winter – Winter Things To Do In Charleston
Charleston, SC, is worth visiting in winter for its mild climate. It allows you to explore its historic charm and vibrant culture without the sweltering summer heat and festive holiday spirit, featuring enchanting light displays and seasonal events.
Weather of Charleston In Winter
Charleston, SC, enjoys a mild winter climate with temperatures typically ranging from the 40s to 60s Fahrenheit, making it a pleasant destination to explore without extreme cold. However, expect occasional rain and the possibility of chilly evenings.
Things To Do In Charleston In Winter – Charleston In Winter
- Stroll along Historic Downtown: The charming streets of downtown Charleston are beautifully adorned with holiday decorations, creating a festive and cozy atmosphere.
- Holiday Festival of Lights: Visit James Island County Park to experience one of the Southeast’s most enchanting holiday light displays. Drive or walk through the sparkling wonderland.
- Festive Dining: Enjoy a hearty Lowcountry meal in Charleston’s renowned restaurants. Charleston is known for its exceptional food scene. Join a guided culinary tour to sample Lowcountry cuisine at various restaurants and eateries, including warm, cozy comfort foods perfect for winter.
- Holiday Markets: Explore local holiday markets, such as the Charleston City Market or the Holiday Festival of Lights Holiday Market, for unique gifts and seasonal treats.
- Historic House Tours: Many historic homes and plantations in Charleston open doors for special holiday tours during winter. You can explore beautifully decorated interiors and learn about the traditions and history of the Lowcountry.
- Visit Plantations: Wander through the gardens of Middleton Place or Magnolia Plantation, which maintain their beauty even in winter.
- Folly Beach: Take a brisk walk along the beach, and if you’re feeling daring, dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean. The solitude and tranquility of the winter shore are magical. 11 Best Beaches Near Charleston SC (Things To Do)
- Waterfront Park: Explore Waterfront Park with its iconic Pineapple Fountain, and enjoy views of the Charleston Harbor. Learn about the park’s history and the city’s maritime heritage.
- Warm Up with Hot Chocolate: Seek out local coffee shops or bakeries and savor a warm cup of hot chocolate or a delicious pastry.
- Charleston Tea Garden: Tour the Charleston Tea Garden, where you can see how tea is grown and processed in the heart of the Lowcountry.
- Carriage Ride: Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the historic district of Charleston. These tours are an excellent way to see the city’s historic landmarks, cobblestone streets, and antebellum architecture. Many carriages are equipped with blankets to keep you warm during winter.
- Art Galleries: Explore the city’s art scene by visiting local galleries and museums, like the Gibbes Museum of Art.
- Spooky Ghost Tours: Charleston’s rich history and eerie past make it an ideal location for ghost tours. Learn about the city’s haunted history on a guided night tour. Charleston is known for its haunted history, and winter evenings can be particularly atmospheric for ghost tours.
- Charleston Aquarium: Spend a day at the South Carolina Aquarium to explore marine life and warm up inside.
- Charleston Harbor Tours: Winter is a great time to enjoy a boat tour of Charleston Harbor. You can take a scenic harbor cruise to see historic forts, beautiful waterfront homes, and the city skyline from the water.
- Wildlife Viewing: Visit local parks and refuges like the Francis Marion National Forest for bird watching and nature walks.
- Charleston Symphony Orchestra: Enjoy a wintry evening by attending a concert or performance by the Charleston Symphony Orchestra.
- Seasonal Events: Check out Charleston’s various winter events and festivals, including parades and New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- Ugly Sweater Parties: Join the festive spirit by attending or hosting an ugly sweater party at a local bar or restaurant.
- Fireplaces and Cozy Inns: Many hotels and inns offer cozy fireplaces, making them ideal for a romantic winter getaway.
- Civil War History Tours: Charleston played a significant role in the American Civil War. Explore the city’s Civil War history with guided tours that visit historic sites, battlefields, and museums related to this period.
- Gullah Geechee Cultural Tours: Discover the unique Gullah Geechee culture of the Sea Islands through guided tours and cultural experiences. Learn about the traditions, music, and history of the Gullah people in the Lowcountry.
- Walking Tours of Historic Churches: Charleston has many historic churches with beautiful architecture and religious significance. Join a walking tour that explores these landmark places of worship.
- Wine and Spirits Tasting Tours: Charleston has a burgeoning craft beer and spirits scene. Please take a tour of local breweries, distilleries, and wineries to sample their products and learn about the craft beverage culture in the area.
Charleston’s mild winter weather and festive ambiance make it a charming destination for those seeking a unique blend of Southern hospitality and wintry vibes.
Famous festivals during winter in Charleston, Sc
Charleston, South Carolina, hosts several famous festivals and events during winter. Here are some of the most notable winter festivals in Charleston:
- Charleston Wine + Food Festival: Usually held in late February or early March, this culinary festival celebrates Charleston’s rich food and wine culture. It features tastings, wine seminars, chef demonstrations, and various food-related events.
- Holiday Festival of Lights: Starting in late November and continuing through the holiday season, James Island County Park hosts the Holiday Festival of Lights. It’s a beloved tradition featuring a magnificent drive-through light display, a holiday market, marshmallow roasting, and live entertainment.
- Charleston Christmas Parade: This festive parade takes place in early December and features holiday-themed floats, marching bands, and appearances by Santa Claus. It’s a great way to kick off the holiday season in Charleston.
- Holiday Market at Marion Square: Held throughout December, this market in downtown Charleston is a great place to find unique gifts, artisan crafts, and local food and drinks. It’s perfect for holiday shopping and enjoying the seasonal atmosphere.
- North Charleston Christmas Festival: This December festival features live entertainment, a holiday parade, arts and crafts vendors, and a visit from Santa Claus. It’s a family-friendly event that brings the community together to celebrate the holidays.
- Kwanzaa Charleston: Celebrated in late December, Kwanzaa events take place in Charleston to honor African-American heritage and culture. Activities often include candlelighting ceremonies, cultural performances, and discussions on the seven principles of Kwanzaa.
- Lowcountry Oyster Festival: While technically held in the late winter (usually January), this festival is a beloved Charleston tradition. It’s the world’s largest oyster festival, featuring many exciting contests with live music.
- Charleston Jazz Festival: Usually held in January, this festival celebrates jazz music and features a lineup of talented musicians performing at various venues across Charleston. It’s a great way to enjoy the city’s vibrant music scene.
These winter festivals in Charleston offer diverse experiences, from food and wine celebrations to holiday-themed events, cultural festivals, and more. Whether you’re a foodie, music lover, or just looking to embrace the holiday spirit, there’s something for everyone in Charleston during the winter months.
Special winter tours in Charleston, SC – Winter In Charleston SC
Charleston, South Carolina, offers a variety of special winter tours that allow you to explore the city’s rich history, architecture, and charm while enjoying the wintry atmosphere. Here are some unique winter tours to consider:
- Fort Sumter National Monument Tour.
- Charleston Sunset Cruise Harbor Tour.
- Charleston Luxury Dinner Cruise.
- Downtown Charleston Food Tour.
- Charleston Water Taxi – Dolphin Sighting Tour.
Winter rentals in Charleston Sc – Winter Things To Do In Charleston SC
For mid-budget winter rentals in Charleston, SC, you can explore various options, including vacation homes, condos, and apartments. Here are some names of mid-budget rental properties and areas to consider:
- The Charleston Vacationer: This rental company offers a variety of mid-budget vacation homes, condos, and apartments in and around Charleston.
- Vendue Suites: Located in the historic district, Vendue Suites offers well-appointed suites with modern amenities, making it a convenient and charming mid-budget option.
- Harborview Rentals: Harborview Rentals offers reasonably priced apartments and condos with scenic waterfront views near Charleston Harbor.
- Folly’s Best Rentals: If you’re interested in Folly Beach, Folly’s Best Rentals provides mid-budget beachfront accommodations, including condos and cottages.
- Palms Oceanfront Hotel: This beachfront hotel on the Isle of Palms offers mid-range pricing with ocean views, making it an attractive option for a winter getaway.
- Airbnb and Vrbo: Both Airbnb and Vrbo have a wide selection of mid-budget rental options in Charleston, ranging from private rooms to entire apartments and homes. Be sure to filter your search based on your budget preferences.
- Tides Folly Beach: The Tides Folly Beach offers oceanfront rooms and suites at competitive rates for a beachside winter experience.
When searching for mid-budget winter rentals in Charleston, it’s a good idea to book in advance and explore various options on popular rental platforms, websites, and local property management companies.
You know some of the best winter things to do in Charleston with festive events and tours. So enjoy this winter in Charleston SC, for all festive vibes.
Visit Charleston in winter for all the fun, frolic, warmth, and antiqueness.
Read more on Charleston Sc Travel Planning
- Best Things To Do In Charleston With Kids
- Plan A Trip To Charleston SC – Epic Charleston Travel Guide
- 24 Hours In Charleston Tour – The Best Itinerary
- Charleston vs Savannah – Which Best City To Visit In 2023
- 29 Interesting Facts About Charleston Sc
- Best Things To Do In Charleston SC This Weekend (Complete Charleston Travel Guide)
Image Courtesy – CanvaPro
Follow more on social media channels at
All content and photos belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com, and the use of content/photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The blog’s content is solely my views of a place or a thing. This does not offend any class, religion, ethnicity, or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products, so this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
We are the independent owner of this site, and the views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations, or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, which means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase.