Are you looking for getaways from the hustle and bustle of busy life in Atlanta and looking for must-do road trips from Atlanta? Then do read this post for lovely weekend getaways from Atlanta. These ideas include day trips from Atlanta within 2 to 3 hours and long weekend trips from Atlanta.
Road Trips From Atlanta Ga – Day Trips From Atlanta
Nearby Atlanta, you can find mountainous towns, Cultural and historic cities, art lovers’ zone, nature-filled landscapes, beaches, islands, and many fun things to do. So let’s check some of the best places to visit near Atlanta within 2 hours.
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 87 miles
Helen is a charming Bavarian-style town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Helen is known for its Oktoberfest celebrations, Alpine-inspired architecture, mountain sports, and river tubing. So experience German vibes in the US with lovely weather and a cozy Alpine atmosphere. Helen is one of the best places to visit near Atlanta within 2 hours drive.
- Hiking to Anna Ruby Falls
- Tubing down the Chattahoochee River
- Visiting the Habersham Winery
- Exploring the German-style market area, shops, and restaurants in the downtown area
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 165 miles
Montgomery is the capital of Alabama and a historic city with a rich Civil Rights history. Also, it is famous for its fantastic art and literature scene with beautiful parks, nature centers, a zoo, and many family attractions. It is also known for its incredible nightlife.
Top things to do in Montgomery
- Visit Rosa Parks Museum and the Civil Rights Memorial Center
- Explore the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
- Check out the shops and restaurants in the Old Cloverdale neighborhood
- Hike in the Montgomery Nature Preserve.
Blue Ridge, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 90 miles
Blue Ridge is a charming town in the Chattahoochee National Forest, North Georgia mountains. This town is known for its scenic beauty, incredible nature hikes, miles and miles of mountainous landscapes, spectacular waterfalls, and the fabulous scenic Appalachian Railway Train.
Top things to do in Blue Ridge
- Visiting the Mercier Orchards
- Hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest
- Taking a scenic train ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway.
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 75 miles
Athens is a vibrant college town located in northeast Georgia. Athens is known for its music scene, historic architecture, and outdoor recreation opportunities. It is nicknamed “Classic City” and one of the best places to live in the US. Therefore it is one of the best places to visit near Atlanta within 2 hours.
Top things to do in Athens –
- Visit the University of Georgia campus and the Georgia Museum of Art
- Explore the State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- Check out the live music venues in the downtown area
- Take a walking tour of historic architecture in the downtown area
Providence Canyon State Park, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 150 miles
Providence Canyon State Park is located in southwest Georgia and is known for its unique and colorful canyons created by erosion and poor farming practices during the 19th century. So it is made by human errors plus natural features. Providence Canyon State Park is Georgia’s “Little Grand Canyon.” It is considered one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia.
Top things to do at Providence Canyon State Park –
- Hike the canyon trails to see the colorful formations
- Camp overnight in the park’s campgrounds
- Picnicking and enjoying the park’s scenic views
- Take part in ranger-led activities and programs
Callaway Gardens, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 90 miles
Entrance: You need to buy tickets to enter this garden resort.
Callaway Gardens is a beautiful premium resort and botanical garden in west Georgia on the foothills of Pine mountains. This resort town has the world’s largest azalea garden, which is quite famous among tourists.
Top things to do at Callaway Gardens –
- Explore various types of gardens, which feature a wide variety of plants and flowers
- Hike and bike on the park’s trails
- Visit the Butterfly Center, which is home to hundreds of butterfly species
- Enjoying the resort’s many amenities, including golf courses, a beach, and a spa.
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 85 miles
Macon is a charming city located in central Georgia. The city has rich music history, agricultural lands, rivers, delicious southern cuisine, and beautiful architecture. It is a lovely historic city with laidback holiday vibes and one of the perfect day trips from Atlanta.
Top things to do in Macon –
- Visit the Ocmulgee National Monument to learn about Native American history.
- Explore the Tubman Museum to learn more about African American art and history.
- Take a tour of the historic Hay House, which is a stunning antebellum mansion.
- Enjoy some of the city’s delicious southern cuisine.
Lake Lanier, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 50 miles
Lake Lanier is a beautiful lake located in north Georgia. The lake offers a variety of recreational activities, including swimming, boating, and fishing. It is a lovely deep blue lake and is the best spot for angling or boat ramp trips.
Top things to do at Lake Lanier –
- Taking a boat tour of the lake to see its beautiful scenery
- Swimming at one of the lake’s many beaches
- Explore Lake Lanier Islands Resort offers various amenities, including a water park, golf courses, and a spa.
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 118 miles
Chattanooga is a scenic city located on the banks of the Tennessee River. Chattanooga is a vibrant weekend destination with lovely and unique attractions like river parks, caverns, mountain tops, beautiful parks, art & culture museums, nature trails, and many more. It is one of the famous road trips from Atlanta, Ga.
- Visit the Tennessee Aquarium
- Hike in Lookout Mountain
- Explore underground waterfalls – Ruby Falls.
- Explore the Bluff View Art District
- Take a ride on Incline Railway to the top of Lookout Mountain
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 147 miles
Birmingham is a vibrant city known for its rich Civil Rights history, delicious Southern cuisine, and cultural attractions. It is a perfect foodie city and is the only city in the world where all things to make iron are present.
Top things to do in Birmingham –
- Visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- Explore the Birmingham Museum of Art
- Check out the breweries and restaurants in the Avondale area
- Hike the Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve
Greenville, South Carolina
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 145 miles
Greenville is a charming Southern city known for its beautiful parks, historic downtown area, street artwork, murals, fountains, statues, and cultural attractions. Greenville, Sc is the typical European city with all those art and historic vibes.
Top things to do in Greenville –
- Falls Park on the Reedy
- Greenville County Museum of Art
- Liberty Bridge
- Explore art in Public Space
- Bald Rock Heritage Preserve
- Caesars Head State Park
Tallulah Gorge State Park, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 98 miles
Tallulah Gorge is two miles long and 1,000 feet deep, one of the most dramatic canyons in the eastern United States. A suspension bridge sways 80 feet above the rocky bottom, from where you can view spectacular waterfalls.
Tallulah Falls is a scenic area in the North Georgia mountains known for its beautiful waterfalls.
Top things to do in Tallulah Falls
- Hiking in the Tallulah Gorge State Park
- Whitewater rafting
- Tallulah Falls Railroad Museum
- Water Activities
- Camping, Picnicking, Playgrounds, and Geocaching.
Road Trips From Atlanta – Weekend Trips from Atlanta
Many beautiful places are more than 4 hours drive from Atlanta, and spending overnight there is recommended. So let’s check some must-do weekend trips from Atlanta – perfect weekend getaways from Atlanta, Georgia
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 250 miles
Savannah is a historic city known for its charming Southern architecture, vibrant art scene, moss-covered colorful houses, parks, cobbled stone streets, historic homes, plantations, and rich cultural heritage.
Top things to do in Savannah
- Walking tours of the historic district – Riverstreet and 22 squares of savannah
- Bonaventure Cemetery
- Explore the Forsyth Park
- Wormsloe Plantations
- Jones Street for colorful houses
- Taste famous natural Leopold’s Ice-cream
Asheville, North Carolina
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 215 miles
Asheville is a picturesque city on the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains; therefore, there is a backdrop of beautiful mountains from every point. Asheville is famous for its vibrant arts scene, brisk waterfall hikes, craft breweries, and cozy mountain cabins. It is one of the renowned tourist destinations in the southeast USA and, therefore, one of the famous road trips from Atlanta, Ga.
Top things to do in Asheville
- Explore Biltmore Estate
- Pisgah National Forest
- Botanical Gardens
- River Arts District
- The Omni Grove Inn
- Basilica of Saint Lawrence
Charleston, South Carolina
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 310 miles
Charleston is a historic city known for its picturesque historic architecture, charming cobblestone streets, plantations, and vibrant cultural scene.
Top things to do in Charleston –
- Walk along the historic district.
- Visit Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, Boone’s Plantations, and other plantation tours.
- Explore Charleston City Market and historic home tours.
- Rainbow House row and Pineapple fountain park.
- Check out the restaurants and bars on King Street.
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 250 miles
Nashville is the capital of Tennessee and a vibrant city known for its country music heritage, delicious Southern cuisine, and lively nightlife. Nashville is the birthplace of bluegrass, with R&B music heritage and a vibrant pop and rock scene.
Top things to do in Nashville
- Visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
- Explore the honky-tonks on Broadway
- Checking out the food and drink scene in the Gulch neighborhood
- Visit to Grand Ole Opry for a live show
- The Parthenon
- Explore Johnny Cash Museum and Belle Meade Historic Site & Winery.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee/North Carolina
Distance from Atlanta: approximately 220 miles
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a stunning natural fabulous mountain range with foggy peaks. It is located on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains National park has many unique scenic drives, hiking trails, scenic lookovers, incredible waterfalls, and exotic wildlife. It is one of the famous nature friendly weekend trips from Atlanta Ga.
Top things to do in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Take a scenic drive on Newfound Gap Road and stop at overlooks
- Hike to Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the park
- Cades Cove historic area
- Hike to Laurel Falls and Rainbow Falls.
- Stay in the cute mountain towns of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.
I hope you loved reading about the best road trips from Atlanta Ga or day trips from Atlanta for all interests and choices. Some road trips are the best day trips from Atlanta and can be reached within 2 to 3 hours of driving. And some are long weekend trips from Atlanta with one or two-night stays there.
Image Source – CanvaPro
More On USA Road Trips – Itinerary
- 7 Best California Scenic Drives – Beautiful Road Trips In California
- 12 Scenic Drives In Great Smoky Mountains (With Stopovers)
- Perfect LA to San Francisco Road Trip Itinerary 8 – 10 Days
- EAST COAST (US) ROAD TRIP ITINERARY
- Stunning California Road Trip Itinerary 21 – 25 days
Follow my blog at
All content belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com and use of content/photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The blog’s content is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity, or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products, so this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements.
There can be slight differences in distances, locations, or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, which means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase