Kiev or Kyiv, one of the oldest cities in Eastern Europe is the capital city of Ukraine. River Dnipro bisects Kiev / Lyiv into Historical Kiev / Kyiv (Upper Neighbourhood) and Modern Kiev ( Podil – Lower Neighbourhood). Kyiv is the best example of reinvention and transition, as it was destroyed several times in the past. Kyiv has a glorious history with the great confluence of Western & Russian cultures. Kyiv’s history dates back to 1500 years, which can be depicted through several cathedrals, churches, and monuments. Let’s go and check for Best Things to Do in Kiev City Tour, Ukraine.
Where To Stay in Kiev – Kyiv Ukraine
- Book Hotel Ukraine
- Khreschatyk City Center Hotel
- Real Home Apartments
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Hotel Center
- Aloft Hotel
- Hilton Kyiv
Best time to visit Ukraine – Kiev city tour
- Best time to visit is May to July as it is summer and sunny time.
- August is very hot and humid.
- December to February is snowy here and it is very freezing here.
- March to May – Shoulder season
- September to November – Will be raining & snowing 4 to 6 days per week.
Best Things To Do in Kiev City Tour, Ukraine – Is Kiev worth visiting?
Kiev Pechersk Lavra
Situated on the grassy hilltop beside the Dnipro river, this is UNESCO-listed, 11th-century monastery. Ornately decorated religious building with golden domes has been a prominent center of the Eastern Orthodox Church of Eastern Europe. Beneath this structure, there lie an underground catacomb of narrow passages and caves through which you can see and worship the preserved bodies of monks and saints. This is the holiest pilgrimage in Ukraine.
Saint Sophia’s Cathedral, Kiev
It is one of the most magnificent architectural landmarks and top-visited sights of Kiev/Kyiv. It is the oldest Orthodox Cathedral of Kiev, constructed in 1037 with 13 golden and green colored domes. It has beautiful interiors with Byzantine frescoes, mosaics, and gilded ornamental everywhere on the roof as well as walls. This complex survived many disasters of political unrest and fires. It is also a UNESCO-listed site. The bell tower of this cathedral offers a great view of the whole city. But you have to climb upstairs through the narrow passage for getting a beautiful aerial view of the city. This cathedral is closed on Thursdays.
Khreshchatyk – Kiev city tour
Khreshchatyk is Kiev’s main street/road which stretches along 1.2 km. It is a pedestrian’s delight and is the main artery of Kiev. This street was completely destroyed during World War II and now has been restored completely according to Stalinist style. This is the most lively place in Kiev even during late nights also. There are many Soviet-styled buildings, hotels, cafes, quirky bars, street food options, street performers, adult clubs along this road. On weekends, 4 laned roads are closed for traffic and pedestrians gather on road for fun and frolic. I booked my stay here and have walked several times on this road. Tip – Try to book your stay along this road or nearby area.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square)
It is the central square or heart of Kiev. Lies across Khreshchatyk, it the widest and beautiful space in Kiev. This place is surrounded by buildings from the 19th century. The slender cylindrical monument in the center point of this place celebrates Ukraine’s break-up with the Soviet Union in 1991. This place hosts the city’s major national events like parades and public celebrations.
This is a Historic street which connects Kiev’s Upper Town to Lower Town known as Podil. This street is known Montmartre of Kiev which is a major tourist attraction of Kiev. You will find artists, craftspersons, handicraft vendors on both of this sloppy street selling all artistic and authentic stuff. This descent is surrounded by the artist’s homes, galleries, cafes and bars with spectacular views of colorful houses. At the lowest part, you reach Podil where buildings are not very rich but very colorful and quirky types. Early evening or late afternoon walk is recommended in this area.
Golden Gate, Kiev
It was constructed during the Kiev Rus period in the 11th century which is also listed in UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was a defense structure and was a great entrance to Kiev. It was completely destroyed in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in 1982 by Soviet authorities. This Gate is an imitation of the Golden Gate of Constantinople.
St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery
This is the first monastery in Ukraine whose dome was gilded and therefore it is also named as Golden-Domed Monastery. Built-in Middle Ages, it was also destroyed several times, especially during World War II. In 1999, it was fully restored and rebuilt and opened for public. Free entrance to this Monastery.
Rodina-Mat-Mother (Motherland Monument)
This 102m high sculpture is located on the right bank of Dnipro River.
This sculpture comprises of a woman holding the sword in one hand and shield in another hand.
St. Andrew’s Church, Kiev
This Baroque styled church is one of the most beautiful churches in Kiev. It is built on artificial hills at the very location at Andriyivskyy Descent, which overlooks oldest areas of Kiev. It was hit by lightning twice. The streets beside this church is also famous for shopping Ukrainian souvenirs.
Saint Andrew’s Church
Pyrohiv Folk Architecture Museum
This place is on the outskirts of Kiev towards the south of Kiev. It can reach through taxi or Rent a car. This Outdoor museum comprises of Ukrainian Folk Architecture and countryside life. These are samples of wooden architectures of Ukraine and rural life of 16th – 19th century. Book your guided tour to Pyrohiv Folk Architecture Museum. Read complete details about Pirogovo Open Air Museum.
St. Volodymyr’s Cathedral
This cathedral built in a Neo-Byzantine style with bright yellow exteriors and interiors were painted by famous artists Mikhail Vrubel. It is built in honor of Prince Vladimir of Kiev, who introduced Christianity to Kiev Rus in 988 A.D. It is located in a most central part of the city.
National Museum of the History of Ukraine in World War II
This open-air memorial Museum was built to commemorate the German-Soviet war. You can also see war tanks, air jets there.
This widespread 130 years old park is located in front of the Parliament of Ukraine.
People’s Friendship Arch – Kiev city tour
This monument of Kiev was made to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the USSR. During evenings, this arch illuminates in Rainbow colors.
This is an official residence of the President of Ukraine in Kiev. It is located adjoining to Neo-classical-styled Parliament building of Ukraine.
Also know as President’s Palace and is located on the outskirts of Kiev. This large green estate where Mr. Viktor liven when he was Prime-Minister and then President of Ukraine. This ornate house now turned into a museum is surrounded by a beautiful park, lakes, Golf Estate, Sports facilities, Fountains, Car collection Museum, and Private Zoo. It is spread around 350 Acres on the banks of River Dnipro. You can rent a Golf Cart / Scooters on Entrance to go along the whole property. Click here to book your 3 hours guided tour to Mezhyhirya Palace.
Ukraine State Aviation Museum
This Aviation museum has impressive collections of Aircraft and displays a wide variety of Societ technology.
National Opera House
It was constructed in 1867 and was burnt down in 1896 but has been rebuilt afterward. By the 1920’s this Opera was one of the most prestigious cultural stages in Russia. This Opera House survived both World Wars. If you are attending any show in this theatre then check in with the classy dress as you will be refused to enter in jeans, shorts or sneakers.
Olympic Sports Complex
It is a premier sports venue in Ukraine and is the second largest in Eastern Europe. Seating capacity of this complex is 70,000 people and have been known for hosting major football matches.
Arsenalna Metro Station
It is the deepest Metro Station in the world. You have to go down 105.5 m (346 ft) to catch your metro rides. You would pass through a very deep and narrow Escalator Tunnel and it takes around 5 minutes to reach down. The people having Vertigo or Height Problem can avoid this or they should not look down.
I covered these Best Things To Do in Kyiv Kiev City Tour, Ukraine, during 3 Days, 4 Nights. There are many Unusual and Quirky Things to do in Kiev which I will cover in my next article.
Best Nightlife Options in Kiev city tour, Ukraine
- Caribbean Club
- Drunk Cherry
- Dali Park
- Art Club Closer
- Pink Freud
- b-Hush Rooftop Lounge Bar.
TIPS AND USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT KIEV / KYIV – Best Things to Do in Kiev City Tour
- I recommend booking your stay near Maidan Square or on Khreschatyk Street. I stayed in a very historic styled hotel that is very iconic in whole Kiev – Ukraine Hotel and click here to check my stay.
- Kiev offers various cuisines and you will not find any problem regards eating out. Kiev even has a beautiful street food culture. Vegetarians can find many options in Italian, Georgian, Indian and Grilled Section of Ukrainian Cuisines.
- Kiev is well known for vibrant Nightlife. Nightlife lovers will enjoy these places. Mostly all Nightlife areas are located on Khreschatyk Street.
- Go for an Underground tour of Kiev to see the forgotten nuclear bunkers of the cold war during Kiev / Kyiv. Click here to book Underground tour of Kiev.
- Go for 10 hours private missile Base tour with a chance to press the Red button while going underground for 45 meters. Click here to book this tour.
- For transportation in Kiev, you can use Uber, Metro and walk. Walking along Historic town is best. Uber is also quite efficient here.
- The currency of Ukraine is the Ukrainian Hryvnia, also known as UAH.
- Spring and Summers (April to September) are the best times to visit Kiev.
- Enjoy greenery in Kiev, as Kiev is the Greenest Capital of Europe.
- Kiev is safe and only you have to take general precautions.
- Kiev is not very expensive. Shopping in Kiev is good and affordable.
- There are 2 International Airports in Kiev.
- From Kiev, you can also plan your trip to Lviv and Odessa (besides the Black Sea) which are well-known cities of Ukraine. I will talk about what to do in Lviv and Odessa in my other post.
- Check closing days of monuments, museums, and cathedral before planning your visit.
- People do not understand ENGLISH much so there can be Language problem but you can rid of by using Google Translator. Always keep your Google Translator ready. Google Translator or any Translator App on your mobile is a must in Kyiv.
- Go for a day trip to Tunnel of Love and Tarakaniv fort. Click here to book this tour.
- There are many famous Day Trips from Kiev which I recommend to take. If you are in Kiev then ever thought of visiting or exploring an abandoned city – Pripyat known from Chernobyl Nuclear Plant Disaster. It is the world’s worst nuclear disaster where approximately 30 years ago, a town blasted 400 times the radiation of the bomb of Hiroshima. As this place is very sensitive and has many check-points, it is recommended to go through special tour operators which are officially recognized. Read more about how to book for Chernobyl Tours in advance as it requires prior bookings and permissions too. You can read 15 books about the Chernobyl and the Chernobyl disaster.
- There are different Visa formalities for Ukraine. Check on their website for more information. Check this official website for Visa information.
- Check Ukraine Official Tourism Website for more information.
Loved it…. Then Pin it….
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase