Pirogovo Open Air Museum – Day Trips from Kiev / Kyiv
Pirogovo Open Air Museum is the largest open-air museum in Europe and is also known as the National Museum of Ukrainian Architecture & Culture or Museum of Folk Architecture and Folkways of Ukraine. It is spread across 370 acres and a true depiction of beautiful countryside, the rural lifestyle of different regions of Ukraine. The day trip to this open-air museum from Kiev is a great way to know about Ukraine and how Ukrainians live centuries ago.
Various styles of ancient Ukranian countryside houses/huts
Pirogov or Prohiv is originally a village to the south of Kiev – the capital of Ukraine which houses this wonderful outdoor museum. This territory has archaeological evidence from the Bronze Age too. The tour to Pirogovo Open Air Museum is a kind of Time Machine where you can see houses, architectures, a way of living from centuries ago. It is like a Glimpse of the whole Ukraine at one place.
The formation of this open-air museum started in 1969 and opened in 1976 where you can see more than 70,000 items of Ukrainian household & traditional cultural items such as costumes, textiles, embroidered fabrics, carpets, ceramics, metal and wooden pieces, glass works, paintings, and various folk musical instruments. The whole area is categorized into separate “village” which features typical historical & orthographical region of Ukraine for e.g. Polesia, Sloboda, Ukraine & Poltava region, Carpathians, Middle Dnieper Ukraine, Podolia & Southern Ukraine.
What to see in Pirogovo Open Air Museum
- The oldest wooden church from two centuries ago like from 1750. It is not just a historical monument but it is a working church. There are total three orthodox churches which celebrate all religious days in a traditional manner.
- Windmills from 1880 to 1907.
- Houses from Bukovyna region
- Huts, Peasant houses, and interiors of houses from 18th-19th
- Farms, sunflower and fruits fields, and cultivation lands with typical Ukrainian style of farming.
- Horses grazing and roaming around you.
- Try local Ukrainian food served by people wearing traditional costumes.
- Buy handicrafts or traditional arts made by local craftsman and artists.
- Take several pictures with countryside settings. This place is quite popular for film sets, modeling photography, outdoor photography for newlywed couples in Ukraine.
How to Reach Pirogovo Open Air Museum – Day trip from Kiev
There are 3 options to reach here
- Public Transport – Catch a Metro to Demiivska Underground Metro station and then take trolley bus No. 11 which drops you here.
- You can hire public taxis or book your taxi through Uber to reach here. I booked Uber to reach here. Uber is a perfect and cost-effective taxi option in Kiev.
- Or Book a local guided private tour from Kiev city. The duration of this tour is generally full day.
Tips to know for Pirogovo Open Air Museum
- English Speaking guide is available on Entrance on extra charges.
- Opens every day from 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Ticket price is 7-30 UAH (approximately) Big Cameras- DSLR or special photographic instruments are charged separately. You have to take a ticket for your big cameras too. Taking pictures from mobile is free.
- A lot of walking is involved in this visit. Wear comfortable footwear. If you want to avoid walking then you can rent special buggies or golf carts at the entrance. This ride takes 1 to 2 hours for the whole museum visit with 3 stops in between.
- There are many activities on weekends like open markets, Handicrafts classes, traditional Ukrainian folk music and dance performances by a group of Cossacks.
- Try to reach at opening times to avoid crowd during spring and summer.
- Check dates of various festivals celebrated here like Pancake Day, Spring Festival, Kosovitsa, St. John the Baptist day, Day of Pottery, Day of Embroidery & weaving, and many more. You can see artifacts created by masters in front of you on special festival days.
Why visit Pirogovo Open Air Museum
It is a perfect place to enjoy a traditional folk holiday. You will get to know about Ukrainian culture, history, a way of living from centuries ago, different regions of the whole country in a few hours. It is a representation of all regions of Ukraine in one place. If you are visiting Kiev in Ukraine and due to lack of time, can’t visit other places in Ukraine then visit this museum will introduce you to the whole of Ukraine. The whole atmosphere is very relaxing, calming and joyful.
A glimpse of the ancient countryside from Ukraine in Open-Air Museum
RELATED READS –
- Read about more on Kiev Street Art & Shopping in Kiev.
- Amazing Things to do in Lviv by clicking here.
- As Lviv in western Ukraine is foodie’s paradise then read about Best Places to eat in Lviv.
- Also, if you are planning for Odessa City tour – The Pearl of Black Sea then read this full guide on Odessa.
So, until then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
All photos are taken by me and use of photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase