Street art or Graffiti art murals on the walls make the place vibrant and also give a specific character. When you travel, then you find many interesting and unique street art adorning the walls all around the world. So in the post, I will present some of my favorite and best street art tours in the world – a virtual tour of Graffiti art murals. The street art movement officially started in the 1960s in Philadelphia, but many forms of wall art or murals are existing for ages. So street though a popular art form got its name in the 1900s but in various forms, it was existing in historical ages too. People used to paint their houses, walls, exteriors in many interesting forms.
Being an avid art lover and creating some art pieces, I love to admire street art or graffiti art murals around the world. Every art mural have deep or significant underlying meaning or message.
There are 7 different types of Street art |Street Art Tour In The World – Virtual Tour Of Graffiti Art Murals
- Graffiti – A most ancient and historical form of street art or wall paintings.
- Sculptures – 3D sculptures that are carved, sculpted, modeled, and then cast are erected at many public squares, buildings, etc.
- Poster Art – 2D drawings first either drawn or printed on paper/cloth are then glued to walls.
- 3D Wall Graffiti – a 3D Art form in which objects appear to be popping out from walls.
- Sticker Street Art – Eye-catching stickers of different sizes are glued on walls or building exteriors.
- Spray Paint Murals – Abstract Art form in which painting on walls or objects is done by directly spraying paints from bottles, instead of a brush.
- Sideway Chalk Art – Realistic images on Sidewalks which give a feeling of a real person or object standing there.
Let’s take a Street Art Tour In The World – Virtual Tour Of Graffiti Art Murals
USA – NORTH AMERICA
Chicago is a canvas of street art with 40,000 sq.ft. of street art. You can find amazing art works in Chicago throughout the city.
You can find most of the Chicago murals located in three distinct neighborhoods:
- the South Loop (on Wabash),
- Milwaukee Ave (from Wicker Park to Logan Square) and
NEW YORK CITY (NYC), USA
NYC is known for its wonderful art galleries worldwide and also for vibrant artistic vibes. So not only this city has art galleries but many streets and buildings are covered with lovely murals and colorful street art.
You can find most of the NYC murals or street art located in –
- The Bushwick Collective,
- Lower East Side to include East Harlem, North Shore on Staten Island and
- The Little Caribbean (Flatbush) area of Brooklyn,
- The Lower East Side’s Freeman Alley,
- Graffiti Hall of Fame, Harlem, Manhattan,
- Welling Court Mural Project, Queens.
Champaign being a University county or town is famous for its world famous University – UIUC and so the street art of this University town has mural art with University as theme.
You can find most of the Champaign – Urbana murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- Campus Town
- Bars, restaurant walls and alleys in the University area
You will find amazing Mural art works in Lincoln city of Springfield and also a capital city of Illinois, US.
You can find most of Springfield murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- Many colorful walls across the museum when you walk toward the Old State Capitol.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
I have found wonderful and vibrant murals in Buffalo. This city has some of the most vibrant and brilliant street art that will amaze you. If you are visiting Buffalo and Niagara Falls, New York, then check out the various forms of public art, including wall murals and sculptures outside the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo.
You can find most of the Buffalo murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- 72 Jewett. 74 Jewett Avenue. Buffalo
- Balancing Act II., Brayton Street.
- Dance Everyday, East Delavan Avenue.
- Dream Keepers, Main Street.
- Freedom Wall. East Ferry Street & Michigan Avenue.
- Greetings from Buffalo, Washington Street.
- Griffis Sculpture Park, Mill Valley Road.
Prague is a historical, charming, romantic, rustic, lively, ancient and modern city. Prague was founded in the 9th century and was the capital of the Bohemian Empire. Prague Foot Tours are very famous along the cobbled streets along with historical ancient buildings. As this vibrant city is famous for beer too, you would find many paintings with beer as focus. These lovely city has many colorful alleys with ancient style of graffiti and also urban modern art.
You can find most of the Prague murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- Barrandoský Most (Barrandov Bridge)
- Gymnázium Přípotoční
- The Lennon Wall.
Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities towards the north of Alps. Salzburg lies in the scenic Alpine surroundings, have well-preserved ancient city centers, baroque-medieval styled architectural buildings, the birthplace of a famous composer – MOZART. Salzburg city was a set for a very famous musical Hollywood film – “The Sound of Music”. Salzburg has an artistic lifestyle with music in the air, ancient cobbled streets surrounded by the Austrian style of restaurants, cafes, and marketplaces.
You can find most of the Salzburg murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- Salzburg’s Historic Distric.
- The alley of Steingasse (previously it was red light area of Salzburg)
The most famous town in Bavaria with stunning mountain views, splendid nature, the unparalleled beauty of the countryside, lovely painted houses reconnects us with beautiful pristine nature.
You can find most of the Garmisch murals located in distinct neighborhoods
- Mostly all traditional styled German homes in the city center.
- Ludwigstrasse – famous for beautiful painted murals or luftlmaleteien on the building facades which is a traditional Bavarian style
Seville is a flamboyant, cultural and historic city of Southern Spain’s Andalusia region. Read this post to know about the best things to do in Cultural Seville – Spain. No trip to Spain is complete without doing this trip because of it’s rich cultural and historical value in Andalusia region of Spain . It is believed that this cultural city of Spain is founded by Greek god Hercules about 3000 years back. This city is famous for flamenco dance and also has a rich Moorish heritage. This region is well known for hand made brightly colored ceramic tiles and pottery work. These tiles are adorned on walls of palaces, houses, and floors of each and every corner of this city. So you will find painted tiled walls on many corners, passages or city squares. Spot some amazing tiled exteriors all around the city.
You can find most of the Seville murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- The Poligono de San Pablo
- The east bank of the Guadalquivir river, between the Plaza de Armas bus station
- The Puente de Alamillo bridge.
It is a beautiful city with a perfect combination of ancient, medieval and modern cultures with sunny beaches, science centers, and quaint streets.
You can find most of the Valencia murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Central Market.
- Old historic city center
Malaga is the birthplace of Pablo Picasso and so it has a museum of his artworks. Art lovers from all over the world visit here. Malaga has a combination of beautiful landscapes and scenery, cultural and historical places making it a perfect blend of modern and traditional place. Not only this city is famous for beaches but also for beautiful artworks, colorful buildings and bars. You can spot unique wall facades, bar exteriors with painted exteriors. The art work here is done intricately and more conservatively instead of urban street art.
You can find most of the Malaga murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- The Soho district.
- Exteriors of Bars, buildings in historic town center.
Ukrainian Capital – Kiev’s street art scene is vibrant, bold, striking which adorns the city buildings, narrow lanes, hidden courtyards, etc. After famous Ukraine’s revolution about 3 to 4 years ago, the Government of Ukraine invited local and international artists to create huge murals adorning the city walls. After 2014, large murals started dominating the building facades, narrow lanes, and underways of Kiev/Kyiv. This initiative in art had brought Kiev dominating in International Street Art map of the world. There are about 153 major artworks created by 32 artists of different nationalities across whole Kiev city. During this Kiev Murals Street Art Walking Tour, you can admire how ordinary buildings are transformed into spectacular and colorful. This art revolution brought a vibrant spark in Kiev city.
- The very famous and one of the first mural of Kyiv/Kiev – “REVIVAL”
It was created by Ukrainian and French artist combination named Sevastopol Alexey Kislov and Julien Mullan and known as Seth Land.
This was created during “French spring” in 2014. This mural depicts the true revival spirit of Ukraine.
- Located on an old building façade at Velyka street. A lady with beautiful thoughts springing in form of flowers.
Other famous Kiev murals Street art Walking Tour are
- “The Cyclist” by Emmanuel Jarus
- BereGuinya by Mata Puda (Costa Rica)
- Portrait of Ukrainian Poetess
- Mural Freedom
- Mural of Ukrainian Athlete
There are many murals all over Kiev and therefore to cover them you need walking street tours, public transport, car/taxi. Many tour operators also provide Kiev city Street Art Tour, but it can be done by self-tour too. Kiev Mural Street Art is covering 285 sq.kms. area(approximately).
Lviv – a multi-cultural city of western Ukraine was one of the major city situated on two trade routes in medieval Europe. Lviv influenced many powers from time to time from Hungarian rule to Austrian rule to Tsar’s Russia to Polish rule to USSR rule to Nazi Germany, again to USSR and now a part of independent Ukraine. This beautiful cultural city of Lviv, lies on foothills of Carpathian mountains is located in western Ukraine at a distance of 70km from Poland has charming city squares, surrounded by bright colored Baroque styled buildings, cobblestoned streets, 60 museums, 100 cathedrals/churches and numerous unique restaurants/bars.
You can find most of the Lviv murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Chornomors`ka str
- Sians`ka str
- Old Historic town center of Lviv
Athens known as an historical and cultural city has lovely street art too. This city is perfect balace of ancient civilization’s ruins with amalgamation of urban and modern art too. It is a vibrant street art scene with giant murals and graffiti tags. Old crumbling facades display some urban art scenes with some erotic street art too.
You can find most of the Athens murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Anafiotika and
- Gazi, which is very close to another area full of street art: Metaxourgeio district
Istanbul’s street art is as vibrant as it this city’s cultural vibes. Not only cultural but also you can spot urban art on the walls of this city. Istanbul has wonderful colorful alleys, passages, building exteriors, walls painted with many interesting themes. Apart from all tourist attractions, I would suggest, to spare one day to explore some artistic alleys of Istanbul
You can find most of the Istanbul murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Near Galata tower
DUBAI, MIDDLE EAST
Dubai is glittering with luxury high rises, gold souks, luxury malls, diversity, and many famous art-galleries. But not only art-galleries, exhibitions, festivals are popping in Dubai city but Dubai Municipality is gearing with many colorful themes to paint the town in vibrant hues. They are now focusing on creating permanent colorful murals on buildings, corners, under the bridges, staircases, public places, parking areas which makes Dubai more interesting. These permanent colorful artforms comprise of traditional & cultural art, contemporary art, geometric & 3D art, and even sculptures too. So now whenever in future you are visiting Dubai then look out for vibrant art forms on some walls or corners. I bet, you will find a perfect Instagrammable spot with these art forms.
You can find most of the Dubai murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- JBR The Walk
- La Mer Beach
- Dubai City Walk
- Al Fahidi Historical Neighborhoods
- Design District.
Art Exhibition or Art Display on International Airport sounds something unique and interesting. But what a great way to experience art and culture tour on Airport while waiting for next flight or during entering or exiting the airport. Art and culture tour always depict the glorious past and present of a particular country and therefore JayaHe GVK museum at Mumbai International Airport showcases India at one place. In India, we celebrate each passage of time, in travel and there are many rituals associated with it from ancient times to the modern era. This art museum takes you the special colorful journey to multiple eras of India. Mumbai is known for famous artists, art schools and art galleries worldwide.
You can see around 5500 artifacts from 1000’s of artisans which are spread across a span of 3.2 kms.
You can find most of the Mumbai murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Dharavi Walking tour.
- The wall project in Bandra – Street art on Chapel Road.
Melbourne is internationally known for its Graffiti urban art scene. Not only walls are painted with vibrant hues, this city has amazing art galleries and have wonderful cultural vibes. Melbourne is also known as the art and culture capital of Australia.
You can find most of the Mumbai murals located in distinct neighborhoods:
- Hosier Lane.
- Meyers Place.
- Centre Place.
- AC/DC Lane.
- Caledonian Lane.
- Croft Alley nearby Little Bourke Street.
- Duckboard Place.
- CBD’s western edge
Basic Tips for Street Art Tour In The World – Virtual Tour Of Graffiti Art Murals
- Most of all street art/Graffit art murals installed at public places are free to be admired and you don’t have to spend to admire street art.
- If you want to know the story behind every mural, then hire a local guide or street art tour provider.
- Street Art tour can be done best by walking tours. Wear comfortable footwear if planning for walking street art tour.
- Appreciate the art and sentiments behind the artworks.
- Do not destroy or try to litter the art work.
- You can always download street art map app of that particular city, which you taking tour to locate mural art easily. There are certain local apps on street art tour which guides you properly on how to locate these huge art works with proper map co-ordinates.
OTHER FAMOUS CITIES FOR STREET ART IN THE WORLD
- Mexico City, Mexico.
- Los Angeles, California.
- Berlin, Germany.
- San Francisco, California.
- Barcelona, Spain.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Delhi, India.
WATCH VIDEO ON PAINTINGS ALL AROUND THE WORLD
CHECK MY EXCLUSIVE STREET ART TOURS IN
Loved it…. Then Pin It…
So, till then KEEP TRAVELING……………… KEEP EXPLORING……………………………………………………
If you wish to collaborate/work with me then contact me at [email protected].
Follow my blog on social media channels at
All content and photos belong to travelwithme247blog(dot)com and use of content / photos without permission would result in legal action.
DISCLAIMER – The content of the blog is solely my views of a place or a thing. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time. This blog may contain some advertisements or links to commercial products and for that, this site is not responsible after you click those advertisements. We are the independent owner of this site and views expressed in this are our own. All photographs are owned by me. There can be slight differences in distances, locations or some details for which I (owner) am not responsible. This post may contain some affiliate links, means at no additional cost to you. I will earn if you will click through affiliates and make a purchase